Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestComplete command argument line

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

TestComplete command argument line

Hello,

I have a somewhat simple question that I am not too sure I understand fully.

The current situation:

I will be running an automated TestComplete project and its tests on a VM with the tested app installed.

I plan to use ' .bat ' (or similar) to initiate the call and automate the tests being run from TestComplete.

The question:

Is it better to use an extension with the TestComplete command line argument [file_name ] in TestComplete.exe [file_name /run...] or is it even necessary for the command to work if there is only one project?

For Example:

rem Without Extinsion
TestComplete.exe "TestComplete Project" /run...

or

rem With Extinsion
TestComplete.exe "TestComplete Project.pjs" /run...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Hero

Re: TestComplete command argument line

I believe it requires the extension, even if not, I would think it would be better practice to include it.

Thanks,
Carson

Click the Accept as Solution button if my answer has helped
Community Hero

Unless, of course, the parser adds the .pjs automatically.  Then you will have projectname.pjs.pjs and that won't work at all.

As I quoted above, the documentation says to use what's in the project explorer.  Many users won't know that it's a .pjs file.  It would make sense to not have to include it.

project.GIF

7 REPLIES 7
Community Hero

"Project_name is the name of the project as it is shown in the Project Explorer panel."

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/automating/command-line-and-exit-codes/...

Community Hero

I believe it requires the extension, even if not, I would think it would be better practice to include it.

Thanks,
Carson

Click the Accept as Solution button if my answer has helped
New Contributor

Great!

Thank you Carson for your fast and very helpful solution and tip on good practices!

Zach

Community Hero

Unless, of course, the parser adds the .pjs automatically.  Then you will have projectname.pjs.pjs and that won't work at all.

As I quoted above, the documentation says to use what's in the project explorer.  Many users won't know that it's a .pjs file.  It would make sense to not have to include it.

project.GIF

New Contributor

I see thank you Marsha!

All the documentation said was:

file_name
    Launches TestComplete and loads the specified project (.mds file) or project suite (.pjs) into it.

Later is gives examples with the extension,

These:

TestComplete.exe "C:\My Projects\MySuite.pjs" /r...

However, I wasn't sure if that is what I needed if I ran it from the root folder.

-

So I was wondering if I could exclude it, I should use one over the other, or I should just use the ".pjs" extension.

New Contributor

Okay, I get it now!

Thank you for helping me with a somewhat silly question!

Community Hero

No worries.  Syntax is a pain for all of us!

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Join the September Hub-bub to show off, learn and win