Forum Discussion

djt
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Test Execute License Timeout

• I have a limited number of Test Execute licenses on my network
  • I have set up a Team City build agant that pulls code and runs TestExcute via a command line on a test I want to run at least once a day
  • It often fails to start as there aren't any available licenses

It seems you can't node lock a TE license so atm I have to remotely kick TE instances off my license server before the CI system runs to ensure it gets a license. Obviously this is fine while I'm developing the pipeline but no good long term.

Is there anyway to kill a license via a command line - that way if anyone forgets to shutdown TE (its not obvious its runnig after all - just a system tray icon thats usually hidden) at home time I could kick them off via a command from the build server or just a timer somewhere to ensure at, say midnight, there was a licesne available ?

I notice the license server has a timeout period but its fixed on 12 hours - if that was variable I could experiment with that

Please advise on any suitable approach to this problem...

Dave

• If that's how you operate, then that's fine.... but there no automatic settings to release someone's licenses that I can find.  So, these will have to be manual controls you put in place...  powershell command to reboot those machines every night at a set time for example would work.  

Another option... rather than you're integration testers manually running TestExecute and then doing the whole "right click and run", you could set up a list of shortcuts in a folder that would be batch files executing TestExecute commandline instructions that would execute the tests and then exit using the /exit commandline switch.  This will ensure that TE is shut down automatically after each test execution.

Generally speaking.... most shops that I know of only use TestExecute for automated execution, not for having other testers run the tests.  Seems.... counter intuitive to create an automated test scenario that a user then needs to manually kick off...

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Well, for one thing...  don't let other users run TestExecute manually... there really should be no reason to do so.  if they are developing tests, then their executions should be in TestComplete, not TestExecute.

djt
      Occasional Contributor

Not sure why you would say that I shouldn't let 'other' users run TestExecute ??

My colleague and I develop the tests using TestComplete and the test team run them using TestExecute during their weekly release integration testing.  

How else does it work !

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

If that's how you operate, then that's fine.... but there no automatic settings to release someone's licenses that I can find.  So, these will have to be manual controls you put in place...  powershell command to reboot those machines every night at a set time for example would work.  

Another option... rather than you're integration testers manually running TestExecute and then doing the whole "right click and run", you could set up a list of shortcuts in a folder that would be batch files executing TestExecute commandline instructions that would execute the tests and then exit using the /exit commandline switch.  This will ensure that TE is shut down automatically after each test execution.

Generally speaking.... most shops that I know of only use TestExecute for automated execution, not for having other testers run the tests.  Seems.... counter intuitive to create an automated test scenario that a user then needs to manually kick off...