Forum Discussion

mustafayol
Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

Test Execute | Cannot Launch another instance of this application

1) I installed test complete and test execute on my computer.

2) I created a sample project on a network location

3) I run the specific test routine via test executed --> All good till now.

When I try to run the same cmd line again, I am getting the following error. It is obvious I have to kill the test executor. 

But, there is another project that I am trying to add new tests and test executor is always running there, as I see.

Isn't there any other way to run the tests through the executor without killing the existing app?

many thanks for your answer.

7 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

TestExecute is trying to run your copy of TestComplete, so no, you can't be in both on the same machine at once.  

mustafayol
      Contributor

Let's say there are no instances of Test complete and test executor. I started a test by using test executor from the command prompt.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestExecute 11\Bin\TestExecute.exe" "D:\TestComplete\TCPJS_OT_6_0\TCPJS_OT_6_0.pjs" /r /p:Prj_Admin /u:Entry /routine:test12

After the test is finished, if I run another command like above, I am getting the error "Cannot Launch another instance of this application". Not to get the error, I have to exit from the icon in the bottom tray (kill app basically).

My question, should I kill the test executor after I run the test? Then I will be able to run a new test again with the executor. I can add another bash script, then kill the test executor. But this is not a good approach, I wonder if the test executor has the capability to kill itself after it finishes its task.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

TestExecute does know how to shut down when the test is complete. 

I would start looking for reasons that the test isn't actually done when you think it is.  Is it a really long test?  I have seen long tests that end up with a huge log and it can take a minute or two to finish writing the log and the test isn't over until that is done.  Try running the test and then waiting an extra long time, maybe 5 minutes and then look in Task Manager and see if TestExecute or TestComplete is still there.  If not, then try the second run and see if you still get the error message.