Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sys.Process("rundll32") is not shown in object browser

SOLVED
Contributor

Sys.Process("rundll32") is not shown in object browser

Hello Everyone,

I am having a dialog box with two controls say Buttons Yes an No.

When I spy the buttons, testcomplete identifies it. But when I try to run as a test to perform Click action on button Yes, it doesn't click actually.

When I tried to debug, I figured out that corresponding dialog process is not listed in object browser. I assumed that could be the reason for not performing action on that dialog during runtime.

The process Full Name is 

Sys.Process("rundll32").Window("#32770", "ApplicaitonName", 1)

Can anyone suggest how to list this process in object browser.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Karthik K R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Contributor

Re: Sys.Process("rundll32") is not shown in object browser

All, 

I have upgraded my TestComplete version from 12.0 to 14.0, and with the latest version I am able to click on the buttons successfully and the dialog disappears.

I am really not sure what was the problem with TC 12.0, luckily TC 14.0 helped me out of the problem.

Thanks,

Karthik K R

13 REPLIES 13
Community Hero

Hi,

Check that system processes are not filtered out in the Object Browser (left buttons on the panel's toolbar) - https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/object-identification/default-naming/ob...

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
[Community Expert Group] members are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Postings made by [Community Expert Group] members
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
[Community Expert Group] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
http://smartbear.com/forums/f83/t86934/community-experts/
================================
Contributor

Hi Alex,

I have included system processes as well. But the process rundll32 is not displayed in object browser.

Thanks,

Karthik K R

Community Hero

Under Tools | Current Project Properties | Project | Open Applications | Process Filter make sure the setting there is indicated to at least not exclude that process.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Extensions available
Contributor

I have cross checked and verified that the process is not excluded.

Thanks,

Karthik K R

Contributor

Somehow I got the process listed in the object browser as Process("rundll32"). But I am facing another issue that I tried to click on the buttons in that dialog either Click on Yes or No. During runtime, testcomplete performs click on the buttons, but the dialog still remains active. Expected is on Clicking No the dialog will disappear. But in this case, the dialog remains active still on clicking on the No button.

On doing the same thing manually, the dialog disappears.

FullName of the dialog button is as below:

Sys.Process("rundll32").Window("#32770", "ApplicationDialogName", 1).Window("Button", "&No", 1)

Any suggestions?

Thank in advance.

Thanks,

Karthik K R

Community Hero

Hi,

Is there anything in the test log? I am expecting an 'ambiguous recognition' warning because there are a lot of rundll32 processes running in every system and your code seems does not precisely specify required one.

This may result in an attempt to 'click' the button on the invisible dialog of some other rundll32 process.

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
[Community Expert Group] members are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Postings made by [Community Expert Group] members
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
[Community Expert Group] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
http://smartbear.com/forums/f83/t86934/community-experts/
================================
Community Manager

Hi @krkarthik_info,

It looks like the original question was resolved. Feel free to give Kudos or accept a solution among the answers you got.

Was the second question resolved as well?

---------
Tanya Gorbunova
SmartBear Community Manager

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others.↓↓↓↓↓
Contributor

Hi Tanya,

Second question not resolved yet. Still the issue exists.

Thanks,

Karthik K R

Community Hero

If there is more than one Sys.Process("rundll32"), then it should have an index.  Sys.Process("rundll32", 2) and so forth.  You need to make sure that you are referencing the correct process before you try to click on the dialog.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Extensions available
Top Kudoed Authors