Forum Discussion

Gaga
New Contributor
13 years ago

Executing tested application within TestComplete 8 crashes the application

Our application is VB6 application which uses APEX custom controls. Though APEX controls are not supported by TestComplete, in TestComplete 7.5 there was no problem of testing our application. Lately I started to try TestComplete 8. Every time I run our application from TestedApps either it crashes after some simple operations or crashes after I close the program. Can this be because of custom controls? or any other ideas ?

1 Reply

• Hi Gayane,

Do you face the issue if you are running the target application manually (not from the Tested Applications collection)? If the application still crashes in this case, please follow the steps below:

1. Download AQtime Standard, which is our free profiling tool, from our web site:

AQtime Standard

2. Install the tool.

3. Start AQtime with the -NotOpenApp command line argument. For example, you can use the following command line:

"c:\Program Files\SmartBear\AQtime 7\Bin\AQtime.exe" -NotOpenApp

4. Select the 'File | New Project From Module...' main menu item.

5. In the Open File dialog, select the executable file of the tested application and click Open.

6. Take a look at the AQtime toolbar - there is a combo box. Open it and select the "Tracing | Exception Trace Profiler" item.

7. Select the "Options | Options..." main menu command - the Options dialog will appear.

8. Enable the "Profiling Time | Event View | Debug Events | Generate dump on exception" option and specify a dump folder.

9. Set the "Profiling Time | Event View | General | Exceptions | Depth shown" setting to 100 and click OK.

10. Click the Run toolbar button (the green arrow) or press F5 to start the profiling.

11. AQtime will start the tested application and generate dump files for all exceptions that will occur in the application until it is closed.

12. Reproduce the problem.

13. After the problem occurs, right-click somewhere within the Event View panel (it is opened by default at the bottom of AQtime's window) and select the 'Save All...' item.

14. Save the panel's contents to an HTML file and send me the file along with all of the generated dump files via our Contact Support form.

If the issue does not appear in this case, please get in touch with us via the Contact Support form. We'll continue investigations via e-mail.

BTW, is there any possibility for us to get access to the application you are testing? It would be very helpful if you sent us the application, so that we could reproduce the problem here.

Thanks in advance.