Forum Discussion

mjwatkins2
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago

Run several test projects on a host during parallel testing

Hello all,

In the NetworkSuite editor I can assign only 1 test per task to each host. Is there a way or a workaround for running multiple tests or test projects on each host?

Suppose I have 6 projects with script tests and 2 remote hosts. On one host I want to run all the tests in 2 projects and on the other host I want to run all the tests in 4 projects (the 2 take as much time as the 4, so both hosts will finish at the same time). I don't see any nice way to do this. Or really any way to do this at all.

Since I can only assign one test to a host in a Task, I thought I would try assigning a script to each that runs the appropriate projects sequentially. But you cannot run projects from scripts, so this idea failed. 

The only other idea I have is to create one project per host and then assign the project to the corresponding job Task. In the project I would have to add all the scripts from other projects and then call each script one-by-one. This is not a practical solution. Understand that my example with 6 projects and 2 hosts is a simplification of many projects with many scripts and hosts for a much larger project. Plus, the idea of creating one project per host immediately feels like a bad design.

Also, in case it matters, we're using JScript for this project.

Thanks!

3 Replies

mjwatkins2
      Occasional Contributor

I've read the documentation several times but no dice. Which is surprising, really, it seems like running several tests sequentially on one remote host would be a common use case for parallel testing. I've also searched the forums here and read several posts about external custom solutions that have been developed to run particular tests on particular machines, but I'm trying to avoid hacks and fragile custom setups.

I think posting screenshots of my setup will be more confusing than helpful, as I'm part of the way through an upgrade of an older TestComplete system (using a complex web of batch files to run tests across VMs) to what I thought was going to be a nice parallel testing use case for the NetworkSuite.