Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Variables Issue

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Project Variables Issue

Hi,

I am using the variables to autamate my testing for a dektop application. I don't know how to view the usage of those variables? 

Meaning that from the Project variable itself, I can view and know the exact test item that used that variable.

Maybe this issue can make my work more easier and efficient.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Hero

Re: Project Variables Issue

You can always do a search for Project.Variables.<Variable Name>.  That will find all instances of where that variable is in use.

Project.Variables aren't "code" like other variable declarations are.  So, there's no tracing back to the definition/declaration. They are items in the XML format of the MDS file of your project, configuration more than code. As @RUDOLF_BOTHMA mentions, you can put in a feature request. 

Alternatively, you could create a code unit and use traditional variables as your globals in whatever code language you're using.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Hero

Hi @Nursyamim 

Would you mind elaborating a bit ?

From my understanding, it might be the way forward is to put in a New Feature Request

Or to search through current feature requests to see if someone hasn't already requested something similar for you to Kudo to get up the priority list

-------------------------------------------------
Standard syntax disclaimers apply
Regards,
Highlighted
Community Hero

You can always do a search for Project.Variables.<Variable Name>.  That will find all instances of where that variable is in use.

Project.Variables aren't "code" like other variable declarations are.  So, there's no tracing back to the definition/declaration. They are items in the XML format of the MDS file of your project, configuration more than code. As @RUDOLF_BOTHMA mentions, you can put in a feature request. 

Alternatively, you could create a code unit and use traditional variables as your globals in whatever code language you're using.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available

View solution in original post

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Script Wanted
Let's start July with new challenges!

Create a script to pass custom command-line arguments as a test parameter for the TechCorner tag!

Will you dare to take the challenge?

Top Kudoed Authors