Forum Discussion

rrubio
Contributor
14 years ago

Perforce version control system architecture and basic behavior

Hi all,

currently we are using Perforce 2007.2 (is it currently supported? I have not seen it in the documentation but I can add a project to source control system and it seems it is working).

When I add a project suite to a source control system, I have all elements "checked out by me exclusively", is it ok?

We are several people working in this project. When each of us works in our specific set of files (this is not a problem), how is the writing of  "Project suite" file performed?

If person1 checks-in his updated files the Project suite file has to be updated

If person2 checks-in his updated files, he also needs to check-in the Project suite file.

At this point, my corcening is:

- after person1 checks-in the project suite, person2 would have to get the project suite latest version. At this moment,

Project suite file has to be updated. When person2 updates this file, does it overwrite the changes it has done in this files?

- any other scenario, both people add new files to the project suite. Will person2 have his work overwritten when getting lastest version after person1 checks-in his changes?

Al last, if someone could send me a real example of Peforce architecture with a real project?

Thanks a lot,

Raul

1 Reply

• Hi Raul,

currently we are using Perforce 2007.2 (is it currently supported? I have not seen it in the documentation but I can add a project to source control system and it seems it is working).

Our documentation does not state that this version is not supported. If you face any issues when using this version of the SCC, don't hesitate to contact us.

When I add a project suite to a source control system, I have all elements "checked out by me exclusively", is it ok?

Most probably, it is. Please see the How to Organize Simultaneous Work With Shared Projects help topic - it describes why using exclusive check-outs is recommended when a project suite is added to an SCC.

We are several people working in this project. When each of us works in our specific set of files (this is not a problem), how is the writing of  "Project suite" file performed?

If person1 checks-in his updated files the Project suite file has to be updated

If person2 checks-in his updated files, he also needs to check-in the Project suite file.

Project suites consist of a lot of different types of files. If you check in a project suite, TestComplete offers to check in all the modified files. For additional information, see the following help topics:

Project and Project Suite Files

List of Files Added to Source Code Control

Checking Files In and Out

At this point, my corcening is:

- after person1 checks-in the project suite, person2 would have to get the project suite latest version. At this moment, 

Project suite file has to be updated. When person2 updates this file, does it overwrite the changes it has done in this files?

- any other scenario, both people add new files to the project suite. Will person2 have his work overwritten when getting lastest version after person1 checks-in his changes?

If a file is checked out by a tester, and the "exclusive check-outs" approach is used, only this tester is supposed to modify the file. Thus, the modifications should not be overwritten.

Al last, if someone could send me a real example of Peforce architecture with a real project?

I think, the best idea is to search for the best practices through the Perforce documentation. Here are some resources I've found - they may be useful for you:

High-level Best Practices in Software Configuration Management

The Best Practices section in their Multimedia Library