Forum Discussion

_Monika
New Contributor
5 years ago

ObjectSpy can see content of a property, but debugger doesn't.

I'm trying to read text from a popup below and ObjectSpy sees it like on the screen shot. Then I want to log this text and compare it against something in the next part of the script. It returns nothing when I point to alias.WndCaption, but the spy can see it perfectly, when pointed to that line.

Any ideas why that might be happening?

7 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Timing.  The dialog might be in memory of the application but the text is not populated immediately.  So, when the code is running "full speed", the "Static" object may have a blank WndCaption.

I would use a WaitProperty method off of the Static object to wait for it to be Visible.  Then, once it's visible, then check the value of that property.

_Monika
      New Contributor

Thank you for the response. This does not seem to help though... I have the window to be detected open and objectspy does its job and then I'm trying to execute a simple function:

Aliases.Workstation.popupDialog.Static.WaitProperty("Visible", true, 5000);
         Log.Message(Aliases.Workstation.popupDialog.Static.WndCaption);

Still, it returns nothing, while objectspy sees the popup text properly...

Any other ideas?

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

IThe way, sometimes, objects are made visible/invisible is that the parent (in this case the popupDialog) may not be visible but the child object is (Visible property set to true).  

Change the first line to do the waitproperty on popupDialog, not on static, and see what happens.