Forum Discussion

Nimith
Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Object Spy unable to identify certain objects

Hi All,

I am working on an application developed using WinFormsObject and for the most part of building my object library, the Object spy is able to recognize the objects from the screen. 

But then there are few objects that are simply not identified by the Object Spy. 

Here is an example:

IMAGE1: (Object spy is able to spy an object from the screen)

IMAGE2: (Object spy does not spy the box with the number inside it)

Has anyone come across a scenario like this or does anyone have a solution to overcome this problem?

Is there a way I can have TestComplete spy on the small box?

Thanks,

Nimith

Nimith
    7 years ago

Hi Sameer,

I got a property on the base object which was recognized, that held the value I was looking for. 

As Robert mentioned, the components are not identified by TC as they are not objects on their own. In my case, the developers added a dynamic property into the base object and displayed it as a box under the base object. 

The worst part in such scenarios is the time consumed and effort we need to identify the right property that holds the value which we can use to test. 

Alternatively, if possible, you could check with your dev team and try to get some info as to which property you should be looking for in the base object.

BTW, could you let me know on which UI is your application under test is based (like WPF or WinForms or something else) 

Nimith

8 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Object Spy will only be able to spy and view objects that show up in the Object Browser... meaning that, in memory in your application undertest, there is an object that corresponds to the visual component and that it is of an object type/class/control type that is supported by TestComplete...

so....  What kind of component is that number? What do your developers say it is?  Is it an actual object on it's own or is it some sort of property of some other object?

Nimith
      Contributor

Hi Robert,

The Dev team said that this is not an object on its own. Is there a solution or any work-around for identifying such components using Test Complete?

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

If it's not an object on it's own, then it is a property of something else.  So, the question is, what is that property and what is the something else?  That's where you begin... look at the object for which it is a property, find the property, examine it, see if you can determine how to check it's values, etc.  

I don't have a specific answer for you because I don't know your application or what exactly this is.  This is going to be an investigative task for you.