Forum Discussion

mnichola30
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

New to TestComplete Load testing

I am pretty new to TestComplete's load testing feature.  I have a few questions:

1) Can I create a load test using a previously recorded script or keyword test? 

2) Is there a way to modify 'think time?'

3) I've noticed that I receive connection and socket errors when using more than one virtual user.  Does this indicate a connection issue with the web site that I'm testing?  If not, do I need to make some sort of modification in TestComplete in order to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Melissa

4 Replies

• Hello Melissa,

>>> 1) Can I create a load test using a previously recorded script or keyword test?  

NO, you need to record an HTTP Task anew.

>>> 2) Is there a way to modify 'think time?'

Currently, there is no way to do this easily. You can find some useful information on the matter here:

>>>

3) I've noticed that I receive connection and socket errors when using more than one virtual user.  Does this indicate a connection issue with the web site that I'm testing?  If not, do I need to make some sort of modification in TestComplete in order to resolve this issue?

<<<

Please try using TestComplete 7.52 and let me know how it works for you.

If there are still some errors, please send me your project suite (http://www.automatedqa.com/support/message/) - I will try to help you sort things out.

• To question number one from Melissa.

We also have this question within our QA department. It seems very un-friendly for this not to be a function of the program. I know I am beating a dead horse here - Alex, can you pass along our frustrations to product management. It seems to me to be a waste of time to essentially redo all the work that was done to initially record the scripts, then if you want to run them as a load test you have to do all the work again.

I do not understand why the program was setup this way. Why not have a section for load testing that lists your previously recorded test scripts with some kind of marking system (checkbox, etc.) that denotes the selected test script as a load test. When you click run, it runs the selected test scripts as a load test. If modifications need to be done, make the changes to the test script, select the test script from the list and run the test again. You are then only trying to keep track and maintain test scripts in possibly one location instead of multiple locations. Hopefully, making your test scripts in-sync instead of possibly out-of-sync because of the duplication that currently happens.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Tim

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Tim,

This is my understanding that may be not completely correct, but I see the reason in essentially different functionality. Regular UI test functions in the terms of UI elements and (user) actions over them. User does not care what is going on from the system point of view when, for example, the combo-box item is selected. The only thing the user is interested in is how applicaton reacts on the selected combo-box item change from the business/functional point of view.

On the contrary, HTTP load testing does not care what is going on with the tested application from the functional point of view. Even more, HTTP load testing does not care if it is the same application or not that sends requests to the server. The only thing HTTP load testing cares of is what was requested from the server and in what order the requests were send. And as long as the content of the requests and their order remains unchanged, HTTP load test would not require changes if, for example, developers change the tested (AJAX) application so that it requests data not on the selected combo-box item change, but on the button click. It is evident, that the mention application change requires adoption of the regular UI test.

Considering the above, personally I hardly see how load test can be combined with the UI test if both tests are not recorded simultaneously. But do we really need such 'doubled' functionality?

• Hi Tim,

Alexei is right - the functionality is really different.

UI tests are represented as scripts that contain actions. Load Tests are represented by a set of HTTP requests.

So, there is no way to run a UI test in Load Testing mode.