Forum Discussion

ryan_perneel
Contributor
8 years ago

NameMapping vs Objects Defined In Code

Is there any benefit to using the Namemapping feature in TC as opposed to referencing the object locations in code?

Currently, I have functions that will give me certain parts of the application, and if a location changes, i just need to change one function to update the location.  We have recently gotten into performance issues when coding tests, and I am concerned that I have too many functions in the codebase for TC to handle.

When using the NameMapping, if a root object changes, would you have to goto all the items that reference that root and update them?

Thanks.

16 Replies

cunderw
    Community Hero

My preference is to use FindChildEx for a lot of the share utilities  and framework. Namemapping is great for individual tests, but if you have to change a share utility that is referencing a mapped object, then all projects namemapping would need to be updated which is unrealistic when you have 100s of projects. 

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

cunderw wrote:

My preference is to use FindChildEx for a lot of the share utilities  and framework. Namemapping is great for individual tests, but if you have to change a share utility that is referencing a mapped object, then all projects namemapping would need to be updated which is unrealistic when you have 100s of projects. 

Assuming your framework requires you to have many projects... if your framework is data driven where there is a single project but the tests that are executed are driven by the data, then it's not so bad... you only have the one NameMapping repository and everything uses that. But that's a matter of framework design.

cunderw
        Community Hero

Agreed, definitely depends 100% on how you have your framework set up and the type of application as well. Responsive websites are a PAIN with namemapping. Desktop applications that remain much more static don't cause as much maintenance. Again, personal preference too. 

m_essaid
    Valued Contributor

Hi Ryan,

I definitely only use name mapping...

Name mapping allows you to factorise every mapped item. For example, if you imagine that there is several types of "buttons" objects.

Then you put this mapped name everywhere in your script (say a hundred times). And then the dev team decides to change the button object type. For example, in delphi you could go from a TButton to a TXpBitBtn.

You won't have to change the hundred of occurence of this object... no, you just edit the mapped object and change its object type property.

ryan_perneel
      Contributor

But you could also have a function that give you the "button".  You could then only have to change one reference in code (the button function) and you would be up and running again, right?

m_essaid
        Valued Contributor

yes, it's correct, but the name mapping manager gives you so much possibilities, such as several properties, conditionnal properties, and all that with a user friendly interface...

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

The beauty about NameMapping is that, if a component changes, you simply edit the identification criteria in your NameMapping repository and all the objects then reference off that.  There's no need to update any references to the object.

For example, let's say I have something like Aliases.MyApp.MyForm which has child objects of MyOKButton, MyCancelButton, MyTextEdit, and MyToolBar.  Some developer decides to change MyForm to a different class or change the caption or something.  My code has 40-11 zillion references to MyForm and various calls to the child objects.

With NameMapping, all I need to do is edit the repository information for MyForm.  So long as the child objects are still child objects of MyForm, everything should then just translate. I don't need to make any code changes in any of my tests, I don't need to change any of my references to those child objects, everything just "works".

ryan_perneel
      Contributor

Thanks for the update.

So in code (i have spent all of 30 minutes playing with namemapping) I have references to Alias.MainForm.Grid.Button1.  so if Grid, gets changes to something else, say "class1", when I make the change in the namemapping file, then all references in code will autoupdate?

Also, are there perceived performance benefits to changing to namemapping?  This is a project that has been around for going on 5 years, and would be alot of work to make the change (though i am tempted to propose a change to using javascript instead of jscript)

Thanks.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

So long as all you do is change the mapping criteria and not the actual name of the alias, then yes, everything should work... it's not a matter of it updating the "code"... just that if your code is referencing Aliases.MainForm.Grid, that will point to whatever you have Grid mapped to, no matter how often you change it.  Now, if you change the name from Aliases.MainForm.Grid to Aliases.MainForm.Grid2... then we have a bit of a problem.  Keyword tests will automatically update, but script code will not.  

I don't know about performance but, honestly, you'll be writing a LOT less code.  instead of this:

function test1() {
            var myButton =Sys.Process('myApp').WinFormsObject('MainForm').WinFormsObject('Grid1').WinFormsObject('Button1');
            myButton.Click();
        }

All you need is

function test1 () {
            var myButton = Aliases.MainForm.Grid1.Button1;
            myButton.Click();
        }

Much more readable, really.  And you don't have to worry as much about when components change classes, hierarchy, etc... you can "fix" that but just playing with your NameMapping configuration and, if you do it right, you won't need to make any code changes.