Forum Discussion

sameermainkar
New Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Launching Virtual Machine via Remote desktop connection and testing Desktop applications

Hi below is the scenario that I am planning to automate using TestComplete.

Create a customized Virtual Machine through a Web UI Dashboard.

Download RDP executable for this Virtual Machine

Connect to this Virtual Machine using Remote Desktop Connection using Access Token

Launch Desktop Application on this Virtual Machine and test this Desktop Application GUI.

Come back to Web UI dashboard and perform Web UI tests.

Can this scenario be automated using TestComplete.

Wamboo
    5 years ago

In my opinion, you can do it and automate it even through Jenkin.

1) Prepare a VM with Jenkins service installed (on which you will run the test)

1.1) Install TestExecut on this machine to call the download test from your website prepared VM
    (this will be the first test)

1.2) If 1.1 is successful, start the second test to install the previously downloaded VM and start the system.

1.3) On a newly started system, have installed a testExecut that you can even run from the cmd line.

I've never tried it before but I think it can work this way.

6 Replies

Wamboo
    Community Hero

Hi,

If You try really hard You really can achieve this with TestComplete script... but why?

It is much easier to run this with Jenkins or any other CI tools.

Remember that with Your's solution You really can not run Your tests on "night run" when You are not logged in into the machine.

I think you're trying too hard to complicate things.

sameermainkar
      New Contributor

Thanks for the response. Well the application flow for (AUT) is such that we have to download created VM as rdp/tgx executable and then connect to it and run tests on Desktop Applications installed (as part of pre-built of image of the VM) on this VM.

Any hints/directions will help.

Wamboo
        Community Hero

In my opinion, you can do it and automate it even through Jenkin.

1) Prepare a VM with Jenkins service installed (on which you will run the test)

1.1) Install TestExecut on this machine to call the download test from your website prepared VM
        (this will be the first test)

1.2) If 1.1 is successful, start the second test to install the previously downloaded VM and start the system.

1.3) On a newly started system, have installed a testExecut that you can even run from the cmd line.

I've never tried it before but I think it can work this way.