Forum Discussion

Viji123
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

Issue in SetText() method

I wrote python script for a simple test scenario. Have to enter username and password in the edit box. I used the below code

username.SetText("admin")

password.Keys("abcdef")

save_button.Click()

When i run this , it enters the username, password and when it comes to click the save button the username got wiped off . Dont know how or why.

In the same example if i use username.Keys("admin") , the script works fine. Can anyone let me know why the SetText() is behaving differently in this scenario

5 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

SetText frequently behaves differently than Keys.  SetText is trying to set the field to the given value and Keys is just typing as if someone was using the keyboard.

SetText may or may not work (as you have seen) depending on the field you are using it on.  There may be validation or other code behind the scenes that is keeping it from working.  Keys will work consistently and we've switched to always using that for text fields.

Manfred_F
      Regular Contributor

It's true, simple things are sometimes more complicated than one would think.

In my own SetText function, I do the following:

determine a second control to activate

repeat

set Focus to field

set the .wText property

set Focus to 2nd control

check for msgboxes

check .wText of field

until field has correct .wText or msgbox shown or nr. of iterations too large

The SetFocus function also deals with overlapping Windows.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

In the application we're testing, we can't use "SetText" for login processes to our application.  There is security stuff on the login page that does not allow for a forced "set" of the text property of the controls.  We have to use the "Keys" method.

Please try replacing "SetText" with Keys and go from there.