Forum Discussion

praveenRV
New Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Identify WPF object uniquely which is best practise.

My application will generate more tree view items where all tree view items is similar i cant able to verify this part unless and untill if we get a unique value to automate. kindly provide me suggestion on this.

• What I would do then would be to not map, specifically, that object but, in your code, grab it dynamically by creating a function to find it based upon a parameterized text string.  Reference the "FindChild" method.  In looking over the object properties, there is little else that I would trust as being able to give a unique property.  I would suggest using the class name and the ID, but I know ID's sometimes shift and change.

Your other option would be to utilize configurations in your name mapping.  Create a configuration for each locale and change the value of "Text" appropriately for each configuration.

7 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Well, I think the basics are usually ObjectType and ObjectIdentifier... those are universal for most objects in TestComplete.  From there, you can start looking at things like Caption, contentText, classname, etc.  

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Also, object hiearchy plays a part.  Aliases.MyApp.Form1.TreeView is different than Aliases.MyApp.Form2.TreeView.  The TreeViews could have the same identifying properties but, because they are child objects of two different forms, they are identified uniquely.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

Can you show us ObjectSpy results for two or three of the views?