Forum Discussion

jloyzagawh
Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

I want to continue a recording that I already converted to code

the code goes to a certain point and I would like to record from that point and have the recording appened to the code (and hopefully there is a way to just convert it and have it append to the already converted code

Is that possible?

Joe

ArtemS
    9 years ago

Hello

If you use Keyword Tests, then you can just press the Append to Test button on the editor's toolbar and continue recording. See Appending Recordings to the Current Keyword Test.

If you use scripts, then appending a test will be a little bit trickier.

• At first, you'll need to run your existing script routine - it will restore the exact state of your tested app to the point where you would want to continue recording. (That is, open the same windows, enter the same values to the textboxes, click the same buttons and so forth.)
    • Then, you will need to start recording and perform the desired actions. Stop recording when, done. This will generate another (new) script routine.
    • Finally you will need to open the script editor and combine the existing and the new routines into one routine.

>>I cannot see that option

The "Always start a new test" option has been removed since TestComplete 10.30.

4 Replies

Ravik
    Super Contributor

Yeah !!

It is.

Tools - Option - Engin - Recording - "Always statr a new test" uncheck this option

TestComplete creates a new keyword test or script routine when you start recording. Else, TestComplete inserts the recorded code at the current insertion point in the keyword test or script.

jloyzagawh
      Contributor

I cannot see that option please see attachment

ArtemS
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hello

If you use Keyword Tests, then you can just press the Append to Test button on the editor's toolbar and continue recording. See Appending Recordings to the Current Keyword Test.

If you use scripts, then appending a test will be a little bit trickier.

• At first, you'll need to run your existing script routine - it will restore the exact state of your tested app to the point where you would want to continue recording. (That is, open the same windows, enter the same values to the textboxes, click the same buttons and so forth.)
        • Then, you will need to start recording and perform the desired actions. Stop recording when, done. This will generate another (new) script routine.
        • Finally you will need to open the script editor and combine the existing and the new routines into one routine.

>>I cannot see that option

The "Always start a new test" option has been removed since TestComplete 10.30.