Forum Discussion

clay
Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

I can only drill down so far into the object tree - then what?

I am have a problem getting the value of a QT object checkbox so I can see whether I need to "check" it or not.  The problem I am encountering is that the checkbox is in a list of checkboxes contained within a parent object (don't know whether the list is an array of checkboxes or not, but I presume that it is).  I can reference the parent object easily enough, and I can check/uncheck the box via the macro recorder via the (x,y) coordinates of the checkbox within the parent object.  However, I do not know how to look at the value first before I change it.

I am a new user of TestComplete Desktop and I am hoping that there is an easy way to get the checkbox value and apply an IF...THEN condition to determine whether to check/uncheck its value.

Thanks for the help.

clay
    8 years ago

As I learn to use the tool, I have discovered two things:

1. You can turn name mapping generation off for performance purposes, but then you may not be able to drill-down into the objects (because the objects are not mapped).

2.  You can turn name mapping generation on, which will allow you to drill down.  However, this will be a performance hit.  In our case that hit is substantial.

I have not yet learned how to "throttle" the name mapping to find some sort of middle ground.  Manual mapping is tedious, but may be the solution for us.

I will close out this issue.

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

What you are probably working with, as you noted, is that it's not a strict QCheckBox object but a list component that contains check list boxes.  Since you can reference the parent object, can you pull up a screenshot of the Object Browser properties of the parent object? That will help determine what kind of component it is and if there are properties like "Items" or something that will allow you to work with the check boxes.

clay
      Contributor

As I learn to use the tool, I have discovered two things:

1. You can turn name mapping generation off for performance purposes, but then you may not be able to drill-down into the objects (because the objects are not mapped).

2.  You can turn name mapping generation on, which will allow you to drill down.  However, this will be a performance hit.  In our case that hit is substantial.

I have not yet learned how to "throttle" the name mapping to find some sort of middle ground.  Manual mapping is tedious, but may be the solution for us.

I will close out this issue.