Forum Discussion

Yusufm87
Contributor
6 years ago

How to close Excel window cleanly

Hi, 

I need to close Excel application opened using TestApps["EXCEL"]["Run"] method.

I have tried closing the excel using the TestedApp["Close"]() method but it only closes the Excel window.

The "EXCEL.EXE" process keeps running in the background.

Could anyone show me how can I close Excel so that the background process also gets terminated just like how it works when we manually close an open Excel window.

I have used TestedApp["Terminate"](); method but it causes issues in further iterations where I need to wor on Excel.

Thanks,

Yusuf Malak

7 Replies

Yusufm87
      Contributor

Hi Shankar,

Thank you for you solution. But as I mentioned in my message that using ["Terminate"]() causes application to misbehave, I cannot use it under the circumstance.

In our test cases we are verifying various fields in Excel and checking if the formulas work. We are not retrieving any test data from excel.

Best Regards,

Yusuf

shankar_r
        Community Hero

In order to check the formula, you have to retrieve the value from excel validate whether the value is being calculated correctly.

If this statement is true in your case then you can very well use DDT.ExcelDriver() to retrieve the value and verify

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Yusufm87,

Actually, it's quite strange that the Excel process exists after calling the TestedApp.Close method. What TestComplete version are you using? I suggest that you update to the latest product version and check if you see the same issue.

If you do, please contact our Support Team - some investigation should be done in our test lab:

http://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete

Yusufm87
      Contributor

Hi Tanya,

We are using Test Complete Version: 12.42.3048.7 x64.

Kindly let us know if there are any fixes provided in the later versions for issues like this.

Thanks,

Yusuf