Forum Discussion

Nsenthil
Regular Visitor
6 years ago
Solved

How do I create test for different version of same product? is there any default support with TC?

How do I create test for different version of same product? is there any default support with TC? 

• There's not necessarily anything "built in" for that.   That's a matter of making your automation code (and I include Keyword tests with that because they ARE a kind of code) flexible enough to be able to handle multiple versions.  This may also include strategizing about your NameMapping file to account for version differences.

Why isn't there anything built in?  Because depending upon the application and how it is developed, different versions may have different sets of "differences" to be accounted for.  You'll need to do some investigation to find out what's different, where the differences are, how EXACTLY are they different, and what changes need to be made in the automation to account for those.

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

There's not necessarily anything "built in" for that.   That's a matter of making your automation code (and I include Keyword tests with that because they ARE a kind of code) flexible enough to be able to handle multiple versions.  This may also include strategizing about your NameMapping file to account for version differences.

Why isn't there anything built in?  Because depending upon the application and how it is developed, different versions may have different sets of "differences" to be accounted for.  You'll need to do some investigation to find out what's different, where the differences are, how EXACTLY are they different, and what changes need to be made in the automation to account for those.

mikakoistinen
      Contributor

Like Robert told, it depends what are differences.

We are migrating our old very experienced ( ;-) ) application from Delphi 2007 to Delphis newest version.

We are forced to make some component replacement and some basic layout modification.

So far I have managed to handle them by writing separete handling routines to changed components.  And that routine checks what type is that component and does actions based on than. 

If you have same logic but for example different main formy ou could write two tests which both use same logic test.