Forum Discussion

jmarkman
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago

FindAllChildren regex difficulties

I'm trying to capture several different forms of a grid's rows; if a row is enabled or disabled, the class name changes between "trip-details" and "trip-details cancelled". I had the regex pattern to use in conjunction with the FindAllChildren method:

trip-details\s*(cancelled)*

However, there's a stipulation that comes with the FindAllChildren method and regex:

Patterns search for partial matches. For example, regexp:notepad matches both "notepad" and "notepad++". To search for an exact match, use the ^ and $ anchors, for example "regexp:^notepad$". 

- Documentation for FindAllChildren

How would I go about including the anchors? The regex breaks when I test the additions in a site like Regexr (the regex is available at https://regexr.com/3vah8), but does the anchor placement in TestComplete differ enough from traditional regex in this regard that I can just slap the anchors at the start and end to prevent partial matches?

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

TestComplete RegEx is different than standard when being used within the FindAllChildren. So, follow the instructions from the TestComplete documentation and you should be good.

jmarkman
      Occasional Contributor

Well, after playing around with it for a while, it looks like I'm not good. I tried

var rows = myElement.FindAllChildren("className", "regexp:^trip-details\s*(cancelled)*$", 5).toArray();

and this seems to only return anything containing trip-details instead of that AND trip-details cancelled if it is present.