Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Electron] Unable to get 'Page' objects [but sometimes it works]

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

[Electron] Unable to get 'Page' objects [but sometimes it works]

Hello,

I have a new electron-based application that will need to be tested, and now I'm looking into whether I can do this using TestComplete. I'm already using TestComplete for a web and desktop application, but with Electron I ran into a problem.

In General, the 'Page' objects are not identified by Test Complete, but sometimes it happens to find them (in 1 out of 5-10 attempts). Thus, when 'Page' objects are not identified, I cannot identify the elements in the application.

I've been looking for a solution for a few days (I also read the documentation related to TestComplete with Electron), but I couldn't find one 😞

Note: Already Web and Desktop installation are available in my Test Complete.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Hero

This is the most important part of the documentation at the moment:

Supported Electron Versions

TestComplete can test 32- and 64-bit applications created with Electron version 1.8.2, 2.0.2, 3.0.2, 4.0.2, 5.0.0, 6.0.0, 6.1, 7.0.0, 7.1, 8.0 - 8.1.

Note: We do not guarantee that your tests will work with applications created with other versions of Electron.

You're probably just lucky that it runs on Windows 10.  

I would contact Support directly at this point.  Here's the link:

https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Hero

What version of Electron are you using?

Did you go through all the setup steps here?

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/app-testing/web/electron/about.html

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hello Marsha,

The application uses version 9 of Electron, but I don't think there should be such a big difference that it doesn't detect Page object. I tried several times (over 50 attempts), but I couldn't find a pattern to figure out why it works sometimes.

And yes, I think I looked over all the TestComplete documentation pages that include Electron. 

An important thing to mention is that the environment is on Windows Server 2016, and on Windows 10 I do not encounter this problem of object identification. Are there any permissions that should be enabled (The user is an administrator).

Another thing that I noticed, in the Task Manager the application uses 5 processes to work, and in TestComplete I can only identify 1. I can identify the other processes with Sys.Process("App Name", Index), but I can't figure out if it would help me with something to fix the problem.

Highlighted
Community Hero

This is the most important part of the documentation at the moment:

Supported Electron Versions

TestComplete can test 32- and 64-bit applications created with Electron version 1.8.2, 2.0.2, 3.0.2, 4.0.2, 5.0.0, 6.0.0, 6.1, 7.0.0, 7.1, 8.0 - 8.1.

Note: We do not guarantee that your tests will work with applications created with other versions of Electron.

You're probably just lucky that it runs on Windows 10.  

I would contact Support directly at this point.  Here's the link:

https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete

View solution in original post

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Join TechCorner Challenge!
Want a fun and easy way to learn TestComplete? Try solving weekly TechCorner challenges and get into the Leaderboard!

Challenge Status

Get properties of a web page element

Participate!

Compare images using the Region Checkpoint

See replies!

Compare HTML table with Excel file and correct data in Excel file

Participate!

How to execute remote test and obtain results via Test Runner REST API

Participate!
Top Kudoed Authors