Forum Discussion

BrandonH
Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Do I Need to Have Developers Add Unique Object Identifiers?

Hi,

I'm testing a custom, GUI based application with many objects of very similar properties.  The only unique identifier between them is currently the index #; however, the index # will update occasionally.  I do not want to rely on specifying the location or size of the objects as these can change.  All objects have a Name property of: Window("SWT_Window0","",#) where # is the Index #.

Do I need to ask the developers to add a unique identifier so that my tests can be robust or is there another way (i.e. is there a way to map via image identification?)?  What identifier would you advise be added to the objects?

Thanks,

• Something doesn't seem right to me... you have an application that has SWT objects... that's what SWT_Window is... but it's not using the SWTObject method for identifying those objects.  This seems to indicate that the Java Application Support plug in is not installed.  

Please check File | Install Extensions... expand the "Desktop" item and make sure that extension is checked.

5 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Something doesn't seem right to me... you have an application that has SWT objects... that's what SWT_Window is... but it's not using the SWTObject method for identifying those objects.  This seems to indicate that the Java Application Support plug in is not installed.  

Please check File | Install Extensions... expand the "Desktop" item and make sure that extension is checked.

BrandonH
      Contributor

Robert,

Thanks, looks like you are correct, Java Application Support plug-in is not installed.  Is that only available using the Desktop Module license? Apparently I only have the Web Module license.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

My suspicion is that, yes, if you don't have the Desktop license, you won't have that plugin.  Not being a SmartBear employee myself, I hesitate to tell you what you need to do.  I'd suggest you contact your sales rep and see what they can do for you.

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

While everything told by Robert about SWT is correct and should be clarified, the generic answer to your question is:

"Yes! Having all UI objects used in automated tests assigned their unique and stable IDs during development is the best and recommended practice for any application type (desktop, web, mobile, etc.)".

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

My apologies for not answering your question directly, BrandonH.  AlexKaras is correct... maintaining a partnership with the developers in building automated tests is always a good idea and anything they can do and are willing to do to make your job easier is always a good idea.

If they can't give you the unique identifiers, if you get the plug-in stuff sorted out, you should find more accurate identification available.