Forum Discussion

rachelle
Contributor
14 years ago

Distributed testing in TC8 differs from TC7.5

Hi,

I was able to try distributed testing in 7.5 and loved it. I am just wondering with TC8 when running distributed test using multiple PCs does it always have to be via remote desktop session? I mean in TC7.5 you have to specify the IP of your hosts and verify and that's it. No need to enable remote desktop session and specify domain, username when creating hosts. Is this how it is now in TC8?

In TC8 you have to provide a domain and username and enable remote desktop connection. If I don't verification fails. So when I run Test Execute on the slave PCs (XP) they automatically logout.No preview of the actual testing appears on each remote PC that I run. Is there an option I need to enable in TC8 to view it? I saw on the video that images of remote desktops in the network suite editor should be displayed. When I run my distributed testing no image appears.

7 Replies

• Hi Rachelle,

Indeed, the Network Suite feature has been changed in TestComplete 8. Now, the name and password for the account used on the slave machine are required. This change is made in order to provide better security and get rid of a security hole which allowed accessing the slave machine without specifying an actual account with its password.

Also, in TestComplete 8, all the accounts used to run tests on slave machines must have the Remote Desktop Connection enabled for these accounts on these machines. This requirement is mentioned in the Requirements for Remote Computers and Projects help topic.

Please let me know if you set up the accounts in the correct way and still get problems. In this case, please post here or send us (http://www.automatedqa.com/support/message/) an image of the 'Run State' page of the 'NetworkSuite' editor made during the execution of a task.

• Hi Rachelle,

There is a known problem similar to the one you are facing. It occurs when you are working with the master computer via the Remote Desktop Connection. Is this your case?

If you are working with the master computer directly without using the remote connection, please let me know whether you have two or more monitors. If you do, please describe their configuration (where the main monitor is located: at the left or at the right).

Also, please let me know exactly which operating system you have on the master machine.

BTW, could you please try using another machine as a master machine and tell me your results?
  • Hi David,

Here's my current setup:

Windows Server 2003 EE SP2 - Installed with Test Complete 8 - Named License - This is where I run the distributed test

XP Pro SP2  PC1- Installed with Test Execute 8 - remote desktop connection allowed - Project is located in C:\Project

XP Pro SP2 PC2- Installed with Test Execute 8 - remote desktop connection allowed -  Project is located in C:\Project

All PCs have their own monitors each. Hope this helps

We already registered our TC 8 Enterprise using our named license. And if we do transfer it on another PC we have to remove the license on this particular PC right?

• Hi Rachelle,

We have investigated the problem thoroughly and found out that is can occur in some cases if the master machine works under Windows 2003 Enterprise SP2. At the moment, we do not have a solution for this problem. The only thing I can suggest as a workaround is that you use another machine with a different operating system as a master PC.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • Hi David,

Thanks for that info. But I am just wondering if ever we do transfer TC8 enterprise to another PC with a different OS. Would it be easy like uninstall TC8 on another machine then re-register using the serial provided to us since we already registered TC8 on win2003 using the named license we bought?