Forum Discussion

stein_oddvar_ra
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Distributed testing across different Windows versions

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade our test clients to Windows 10, but due to HW limitations, we cannot upgrade everything at once.

Is it possible to have a setup where the TestComplete Server is running Windows 7 and the client is running Windows 10?

stein_oddvar_ra
    5 years ago

Yes. This answers my question. And I have managed to make it work.

We have floating licenses for TestExecute on the slave, and node locked licenses on the master.

The setup did not work at first, and I could not find out why. Verifying the slave in the host node failed with "Incompatible server version". After debugging, we found out that the TestComplete 12 installation on the Windows 10 machines did not install the x64 version. When we ran the installer again, we did get x64-editions of TestComplete. Then we were able to connect to the slave without issues.

4 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

> TestComplete Server is running Windows 7 and the client is running Windows 10?

If you mean Master and Slave project(s) of Network Suite (https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/advanced/distributed/basic-concepts.html#organizing-projects-in-network-suites), then OS version is not critical for this type of testing. Though it is highly recommended to have TestComplete/TestExecute of exactly the same version to be installed on all machines that participate in the distributed testing.

• if you have a floating license you can run in both win10 and win7, just make sure they do not run at the same time. TestComplete can run fine from commandline/scheduler with the same parameters as TestExecute.

We have some issues with win10 WFC comboboxes though, where we are unable to find the Text.OleValue and OleStr in win10, but working fine in win7.

I recommend using https://aka.ms/accessibilityinsights-windows/download to see if your widgets are compliant.

And bug the developers if they are not. It also makes TestCompletes "preparing an object recognition hint" much faster.

stein_oddvar_ra
        Contributor

Yes. This answers my question. And I have managed to make it work.

We have floating licenses for TestExecute on the slave, and node locked licenses on the master.

The setup did not work at first, and I could not find out why. Verifying the slave in the host node failed with "Incompatible server version". After debugging, we found out that the TestComplete 12 installation on the Windows 10 machines did not install the x64 version. When we ran the installer again, we did get x64-editions of TestComplete. Then we were able to connect to the slave without issues.