Forum Discussion

lsainsbury
Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Constant Name Mapping issues

Hey guys/girls,

I'm having constant issues with TestComplete mapping the same object as a new object, and I have no idea why it is doing this.

If you have a look at the screenshot attached, TImpactEntryEdit has been mapped, WndCaption should not look for a specific value and I have even added a wildcard at the end of TImpactEntryEdit, however all of a sudden it is now looking for TImpactEntryEdit2.

Does anybody have any leads as to why this might be happening?

This has been happening quite often for me on many of my applications forms. I'm testing a VCL desktop application.

Thanks in advance for any information :)

• Are you sure the WndCaption doesn't contain some sort of invisible control character thats causing this?

If you remove WndCaption as an identification property, does it still happen?

4 Replies

• Are you sure the WndCaption doesn't contain some sort of invisible control character thats causing this?

If you remove WndCaption as an identification property, does it still happen?

lsainsbury
      Contributor

Unbeliavble, it doesn't happen once I remove the WndCaption from the Name Mapping properites.

What do you mean by invisible control character? I'd just like to understand what was going on a little better.

But in any case thank you for the response :)

Edit: Ah a non printing character, why would that happen?

Colin_McCrae
        Community Hero

Heh.

You mentioned it's a VCL desktop app? Welcome to the wierd and wonderful world of Delphi. (Assume it's coded using Delphi?)

I've hit similar things. Empty cells returning CHR(13) (<RETURN>) from grid controls and so on. In case you hit it eventually, I don't know if it's just our devs, but inside a MemoBox control, tilde (~) is their "new line" character (I use a single wrapper function to handle all types of TextBox in the app - including MemoBox). Plenty other oddities I've run into but most of them are custom alterations or uses of controls and I have helpful devs on hand to explain what they're up to.

I do recall having to strip out CHR(10)'s and CHR(13)'s in a few places when using Delphi controls. Not in the office today so can't check exactly where .....