Forum Discussion

jmassey
Contributor
7 years ago

Code Completion - Keys other than Enter?

Kind of a small thing but figured I'd ask because I can't find anything - when the code completion popup comes up, is there a way to trigger the completion with Tab or Spacebar? It only seems to complete if I press Enter/Return. I could have swore it used to work with Tab (currently, it just inserts an actual tab or space if I press either of those), but maybe that's just in other programs. Either way, is that something I can set somewhere or something?

5 Replies

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi everyone,

There is a patch (CC-9785) that should fix the TAB issue in TestComplete 12.3. Please contact support to get the patch.

Regarding automatic closing of parentheses/quotes, there are feature requests to improve this behavior:

Allow option to shut off bracket and quotation mark automatic insertion of closing pair

Modify auto-formatting of closing bracket and quotation marks

You can upvote them to express interest in this getting implemented.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

I don't think so... I think "Enter" is the only keystroke that it allows to select the completed item.  And, as far as I know, there's not a keyboard mapping that can be altered for this.  I could be wrong in that respect, but I haven't found one yet.

slecault
      Contributor

I have noticed the same after mixed upgrades (Windows10 and TestComplete 12.30).

After a few verifications, this looks like an issue with TC12.30.

Windows 7 with TC 12.20, both [Tab] and [Enter] complete the code (of corse i usually used [Tab] !)

Windows 7 with TC 12.30, only [Enter] completes the code.

Windows 10 with TC 12.30, only [Enter] completes the code.

Can SmartBear confirm this is an issue?

jmassey
        Contributor

Oh wow, you're right, slecault. My main work system is Win10, and I just recently upgraded to 12.30 (because I wanted the supported Python version bump). One of my test VMs is Win10, too, and still has 12.20 installed on it. Just checked and, sure enough, Tab works to complete there. Glad I wasn't just imagining it.

While I was at it, I tested another feature that seems to have been oddly frustrating only recently and, sure enough, same thing - in 12.30 but not in 12.20, typing a parenthesis or quote will automatically generate the complementary paren / quote. This is handy in editors like e.g. Notepad++ where, if you still accidentally type the closing paren yourself out of habit, it just advances the cursor a character silently, but in TestComplete's editor, it adds an extra one, so you then have to delete it. It's also annoying when you intend to keep typing after closing the paren or quote on the same line (which is pretty frequently), since you have to arrow over to get the cursor in the right place anyways. It doesn't really save any keystrokes and adds errors more than prevents them. I wish I could find a way to turn this automatic 'helpful' behavior off, as well, but I don't see anywhere in the options to do so.