Forum Discussion

Leahy
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Application calls a batch file which produces a Message box which cant be clicked.

The application that I am testing runs on a server.  One of the functions of this app calls a batch file which produces a message box informing me the batch file has completed.

I cannot get testcomplete to see this message box,  If I use the object spy it focuses on every other window on the screen but will not see this message.  If I put the spy on the icon on the botton tray it gives:

Aliases.explorer.wndShell_TrayWnd.ReBarWindow32.MSTaskSwWClass.MSTaskListWClass.UIAObject("QS_MSG_ENDED_1_running_window")

The message box has and "OK" button I need to click.

• Hi,

Try to start TestComplete 'As Administrator' and see if it helps.

5 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

Try to start TestComplete 'As Administrator' and see if it helps.

Leahy
      Contributor

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply, running as administrator works, it sees the message box but it does not see the "OK" button.  I just used the ".close()" function and it closes....

Thanks again,

Lee

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi Lee,

> it sees the message box but it does not see the "OK" button.

It may be because of the IDE/language used to create this message box.

Assuming that we are talking about desktop applications: Usually, all windows are generated via system calls and are registered in the system as window of certain class. Such windows are always visible to TestComplete and other tools like Spy++ from Visual Studio.

On the contrary, buttons may be created as windowed objects (C\C++) or windowless (Delphi, if I am not mistaken). In the latter case TestComplete requires debug information in order to be able to access such windowless objects.

Anyway, it's good to hear that the problem is solved.

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

Try using the Record feature to do this part of your test manually and see if TestComplete records anything besides screen coordinates for your box.

Leahy
      Contributor

Hi Marsha,

Thanks for the reply, but I have been recording, coordinates do not come up. I tried Alex suggestion to run as administrator and it works.

Lee