Forum Discussion

TechnoBill
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Access to License Server: How to allow from remote location

Hi All,

I have had some trouble posting to the forum so I hope this does not end up being a duplicate.

We use Test Complete floating licenses and they talk to a PC that has the license server running without a problem

But now we want to allow some users on Remote Virtual Test environment that is hosted outside our office to also run Use Test Complete to write the automated tests. I know we need to purchase and use more floating licenses, but I have been unable to find the information on how test complete comminicates with the license server. 

I am not sure what to "open up" or allow through on our network security, to let these external virtual machines find the license server which is hosted internally. Does it just use Http to communicate or some other protocol? 

I need to address this with some urgency as this project is about to ramp up and the ability to run test complet (or not) on this remote test environment, will determine whether we stick with test complete or go to another product.

Also I have setup a small test environment on a remote PC, so I can test this but at the moment Test complete is running on a trial licence there so it does not even ask me for the license server. Is there a way to force it to end the trial and ask for the license server?

Thanks

Bill D 

• Start with the TestComplete Licensing Guide and the sections on How To and Troubleshooting for the more specific information.  All license service communication happens on port 1947.  UDP is used for server discovery, and TCP is used for everything else.  Server discovery happens on the local subnet by default but can be expanded by adding entries in the Remote License Search Parameters box ( http://localhost:1947/_int_/config_to.html ) in the license service's Admin Control Center on the client.

Re trial license: the only way to get TestComplete to stop using the (node-locked) trial license is to remove it, and to do that you'll have to do a Manual Deactivation using the Web Site.  If you're having trouble with the licenses, open a support case and we can sort it out.

2 Replies

• Start with the TestComplete Licensing Guide and the sections on How To and Troubleshooting for the more specific information.  All license service communication happens on port 1947.  UDP is used for server discovery, and TCP is used for everything else.  Server discovery happens on the local subnet by default but can be expanded by adding entries in the Remote License Search Parameters box ( http://localhost:1947/_int_/config_to.html ) in the license service's Admin Control Center on the client.

Re trial license: the only way to get TestComplete to stop using the (node-locked) trial license is to remove it, and to do that you'll have to do a Manual Deactivation using the Web Site.  If you're having trouble with the licenses, open a support case and we can sort it out.

TechnoBill
      Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info Joseph.

We now have a test environment running on a virtual machine in a DMZ and it is able to use one of the licences on our internal licence server.