Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pitfalls when publishing an API referencing Domains that are unpublished

SOLVED
HenrikHL
Occasional Contributor

Pitfalls when publishing an API referencing Domains that are unpublished

Hi,

I have stumbled onto a problem when publishing APIs. I have started using the Domains to store common types and components shared among APIs. The Domains are not yet published. When I publish my API my impression was that the API was stable - this is not the case, as components referred to in Domains that are not published yet, can change!

I am surprised that Swaggerhub does not check for references to unpublished Domains before publishing an API!

How should this be mananged? How does other people manage this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mhiggins
Staff

Re: Pitfalls when publishing an API referencing Domains that are unpublished

the webhook listener should not be deployed on the SwaggerHub VM. I would suggest a small Linux instance on the same sub-net. 

there I would run a small node.js listener that accepts the POST from SwaggerHub and parses the json copy of the spec that is included in the POST payload. 

the parsing would look for $refs that contain the “…/domain/…” url inductive of a domain reference. Parse out the domain location (organization), name and version contained the the url, then use either the swaggerhub cli or the SwaggerHub Registry Api to publish that domain/version. Repeat until the spec is completely parsed. 

the node.js code to do this should be fairly simple, you’ll just need to be able to find the $refs that are remote anchors, then pick out the 3 sub-strings that describe the domain. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HenrikHL
Occasional Contributor

Expected behavior when "Publish API" button is pressed (this is for both APIs and Domains)

1). Check if there are references to Domains

2). if "yes" - check if the references point to domains that are unpublished

3). if "yes" - force user to publish Domain before publishing API (or even better - SwaggerHub can offer to publish the Domain)

Alternatively when pressing the "Publish API" button - give the option to resolve ALL references...

pseudo code

function publish(Domain/API, doResolve) {
  if not doResolve then
    loop through "all references" in Domain/API
      if reference is located in unpublished Domain then
        call publish(unpublished Domain, false)
  else resolve references in Domain/API
  make Domain/API published
}

joejoyce
Staff

Hey @HenrikHL, thanks for getting in touch. This sounds like it could be a good use case to bring to the SwaggerHub product team. I'm interested to hear more about the scenario. Have you been finding that publishing an API that references unpublished domains is causing issues for your users or workflows?

HenrikHL
Occasional Contributor

Hi @joejoyce - thanks for reaching out.

I have previously released APIs (by not using Domains) - this works fine as once the API is published - it cannot be modified.

After talking with some of your colleagues I was introduced to Domains - which sounds like a great idea (we reuse a lot of definitions between different APIs). We are about to release the next big API (actually we are going to release 4 new APIs based on Domains). There are a lot of worries that when publishing the API domains can still change - as in types, names, everything referenced from an API to a Domain can change!

I would suspect this is an error as the hole point of publishing an API is to make it readOnly.

If you want a concrete example I can give one here:

CustomerAPI v1.0.0 containing a GET /customers

in the CustomerAPI definition of the above response a reference to the Customer-component defined in GlobalDomain v1.0.0 is inserted:

/customers:
  get:
    responses:
      '200':
        description: Request successful
        content:
          application/json:
            schema:
              $ref: 'https://api.swaggerhub.com/domains/XXXorg/GlobalDomain/1.0.0#/components/schemas/customer'

Now in GlobalDomain v1.0.0 i start by defining Customer like this:

components:
  schemas:
    customer:
      type: string

(To make it simple - customer is a type: string)

I then publish CustomerAPI v1.0.0 with the endpoint GET /customers the response here is a string (for now)

Someone then opens GlobalDomain v1.0.0 (since it is not published and therefore NOT readOnly) and changes customer to:

components:
  schemas:
    customer:
      type: integer

(Changes type:string -> type:integer)

Now the published GET /customers endPoint of CustomerAPI returns an integer instead of a string!

I would be glad to take this up with the SwaggerHub product team - let me know how to contact them and I will do so 🙂

mhiggins
Staff

I would suggest using a workbook integration here. Set up an “on-publish” integration for the API and then post-process the json on the webhook listener and force publish each of the domain/version references. 

HenrikHL
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the solution - I have not tried this.

I can see it is possible to create an "On publish" integration when an API is published and then send to a WebHook.

From here it is a little vague for me what to do? Is it possible to setup a webhook listener on SwaggerHub which then can trigger a force publish on the Domain. If so - how do I know which Domain the API references - is this something that can be automatically set up - or do you see that as "manual" setup when creating the "On publish" integration (maybe as a header(s)?!?)

mhiggins
Staff

the webhook listener should not be deployed on the SwaggerHub VM. I would suggest a small Linux instance on the same sub-net. 

there I would run a small node.js listener that accepts the POST from SwaggerHub and parses the json copy of the spec that is included in the POST payload. 

the parsing would look for $refs that contain the “…/domain/…” url inductive of a domain reference. Parse out the domain location (organization), name and version contained the the url, then use either the swaggerhub cli or the SwaggerHub Registry Api to publish that domain/version. Repeat until the spec is completely parsed. 

the node.js code to do this should be fairly simple, you’ll just need to be able to find the $refs that are remote anchors, then pick out the 3 sub-strings that describe the domain. 

View solution in original post

HenrikHL
Occasional Contributor

Ahh - ok - this is indeed a solution.

The software needed for the Linux instance would be the same for everyone. I do hope that SwaggerHub will support this "out of the box" and it is on the roadmap going forward. Would you by any means know if this is the case?

I have accepted your proposition as a solution - though I do not see it as an optimal solution. I don't see us setting up such a system - will be waiting for an "official" integrated SwaggerHub solution 🙂

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Top Kudoed Authors