Forum Discussion

xtian
New Contributor
6 years ago

Newbie question about Mapping Swagger Documentation

I'm new to Swagger APIs and JSON APIs in general. Mostly doing practical business Python. Now I have a Swagger API from which I need to get some data. The project has Swagger Documentation. I can add the API key for my client and get the Resources, but the Representations are not quite what I expected, knowing the material. I feel like there's another layer that I'm not seeing--possibly in the Platform's setup of the client's Application.

I found this post, Visualising complex APIs using API Map Following in this direction, was able to use the Pikturr script to generate a UML from the Platform's Swagger API. However, this obviously doesn't include the my client's content. 

Any suggestions how I can map the Swagger API Documentation using my client's API Key?

Or,

Am I misunderstanding something about Swagger APIs asking this question?

I've found several other packages on Github which do similar things, swagger_to_uml, Swagger2Puml, and a tutorial From Swagger to Confluence UML diagrams; however, none describe this particular problem.

2 Replies

miqui
    Occasional Contributor

hi,

..what is your goal?...to understand how the API is consumed?  ..to understand the resources exposed by the API and their reletionships?...you want a UML diagram of the resource model of the API?  which type of UML diagram are thinking of using?

rgds,

Miguel

xtian
      New Contributor

There are several questions here so I will answer them in-line,

..what is your goal?

Right now my goal is to learn if I can use one of the UML diagramming scripts on Github to diagram a Swagger API for a given API Key. 

For the API that I'm interested to diagram, the key gives access to a customized application on the host's platform. In other words, the diagram I shared shows nothing of the customization's which are present when you add the API Key to the Swagger documentation web page.

...to understand how the API is consumed?  ..to understand the resources exposed by the API and their reletionships?

Yes. Once the key is entered into the Swagger web page, you can browse the API, but because I know the  source material, I know something is missing. There are layers.

...you want a UML diagram of the resource model of the API?  which type of UML diagram are thinking of using?

As you can see by the example I posted, I'm not picky.