Forum Discussion

rock3r
Occasional Visitor
4 years ago
Solved

Model missing Accept header

Hey there, I am modeling an API that does different things depending on the value, and presence, of an Accept header. I have it modeled as follows in the Swagger YAML, and it should be correct for as much as I can understand:

'/my-api/endpoint':
    get:
      summary: My summary.
      description: >-
        Blah blah blah.
      operationId: myOperationId
      parameters:
        - name: firstParam
          in: query
          description: Value to use.
          required: false
          schema:
            type: string
      responses:
        '200':
          description: Successful operation.
          content:
            application/vnd.my.format.one+json:
              schema:
                $ref: '#/components/schemas/MyFormatOneEntity'
            application/vnd.my.format.two+json:
              schema:
                $ref: '#/components/schemas/MyFormatTwoEntity'
            application/json:
              schema:
                $ref: '#/components/schemas/MyFormatOneEntity'
            "":
              schema:
                $ref: '#/components/schemas/LegacyFormatEntity'
            '*/*':
              schema:
                $ref: '#/components/schemas/MyFormatTwoEntity'

The issue is, when I select the empty Accept header in SwaggerHub, the response preview is not taken from LegacyFormatEntity but from MyFormatTwoEntity. Looks like a bug to me, but maybe I am not modeling the case "there is no Accept header in the request" case. Anyone has ideas on how to actually do this, or how to send a bug report?

Thanks in advance!

• An empty string "" is not a valid media type, so it's not allowed in response definitions.

According to RFC 7231 section 5.3.2, no Accept header is equivalent to Accept: */*, so you can use the */* value to test this use case. If you specifically need to omit the Accept header entirely, you'll need to use cURL or Swagger Inspector to test such requests.

1 Reply

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

An empty string "" is not a valid media type, so it's not allowed in response definitions.

According to RFC 7231 section 5.3.2, no Accept header is equivalent to Accept: */*, so you can use the */* value to test this use case. If you specifically need to omit the Accept header entirely, you'll need to use cURL or Swagger Inspector to test such requests.