Forum Discussion

wichers
Occasional Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

How to suppress requestBody generation in OpenAPI spec using swagger-maven-plugin

I'm using the swagger-maven-plugin in a Java application with an old school servlet implementation. I'm trying to follow the examples here: https://github.com/swagger-api/swagger-samples/, but unfortunately this one: https://github.com/swagger-api/swagger-samples/blob/master/java/java-servlet/src/main/java/io/swagger/sample/servlet/SampleServlet.java which is the closest match, uses the 1.x version of swagger.core, not 2.x.

I found other examples that sort of work (see what I did below), except that it generates an almost 950 line requestBody element in the openapi.yaml doc for this endpoint. Why does it do that? Is there a way to suppress that? Below is the maven import and the code snippet:

<groupId>io.swagger.core.v3</groupId>
<artifactId>swagger-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<version>2.1.2</version>

The code with annotations is:

@Path("/Test00020")

public class Test00020 extends HttpServlet {

@Override

@GET

@Operation (

summary = "Ask something, get something back.",

parameters = { @Parameter(in = ParameterIn.QUERY, name="TestParam00020", required = true ) }

)

public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException { ...

Thanks, Dave

• you can hide any parameter including request body via @Parameter.hidden annotation, like:

@Override
        @GET
        @Operation (
            parameters = { @Parameter(in = ParameterIn.QUERY, name="TestParam00020", required = true ) }
        )
        public void doGet(@Parameter(hidden = true) HttpServletRequest request, @Parameter(hidden = true) HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException {
        }
  • Did you apply the annotation also to the response? and are you using the latest version?

I suspect you didn't hide the response and you're seeing that in your outcome. As mentioned, the reader is targeting JAX-RS methods, therefore it tries to resolve method parameters if not hidden, and response is a method parameter.

I tested with the code above and request body is correctly not resolved

11 Replies

• Hi Dave,

"plain" servlets are not supported in 2.x version of swagger-core, as they are in 1.x version.

You are probably getting a result anyway because you are using JAX-RS annotations (e.g. `@GET`), which "marks" the servlet method as processable by swagger-core. 

In your case I guess swagger-core is processing the request and response as parameters/request body which is clearly not what you want; you can add annotations (swagger-core 2.x ones) to specify parameters, request bodies and responses yourself defining exactly what you need (see swagger-core wiki and swagger-samples branch `2.0`).

wichers
      Occasional Contributor

In the case of a normal GET request there is NO requestBody at all. I see how you can create a custom requestBody, per your comment: "you can add annotations (swagger-core 2.x ones) to specify parameters, request bodies and responses yourself defining exactly what you need (see swagger-core wiki and swagger-samples branch `2.0`)". But I see no way to completely suppress it. That's what I'm asking, how do you use swagger-core 2.0 annotations to completely supporess the requestBody. If there isn't any way to do that, maybe create a new feature request?

frantuma
        Staff

you can hide any parameter including request body via @Parameter.hidden annotation, like:

@Override
            @GET
            @Operation (
            )
            public void doGet(@Parameter(hidden = true) HttpServletRequest request, @Parameter(hidden = true) HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException {
            }
      wichers
      Occasional Contributor

A question related to your comment: ""plain" servlets are not supported in 2.x version of swagger-core, as they are in 1.x version."  Is 1.x of swagger-core going to be updated so you can (optionally?) use it on plain servlets to generate a openapi v3.0 compatible spec?  I see that the 1.x branch is still being maintained. Given that it is, seems like having the ability to generate a 3.0 compatible spec in that branch would be desireable. Esp. for someone like me trying to generate openapi docs for old code.

frantuma
        Staff

Answer is nope, servlet support can be added to the master 2.x version, to produce OpenAPI 3.0, but 1.x will always be producing only Swagger/OpenAPI 2.0