Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing API Response Based on Query Parameter

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Changing API Response Based on Query Parameter

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to specify different API behaviors for a single endpoint with the Swagger editor based on query parameter provided?

I'm looking at and endpoint like this:
/processes/{processId}?detail={detailLevel}

where {processId} is an integer and {detailLevel} is a string enum between "summary" and "robust".

The robust response would look something like this

robustResponse = {
  "name": "mt-olympus"
  "macAddress": "ABC123",
  "status": unreachable,
  "timezone": "America/New_York",
  "osName": "Microsoft FooBar",
  "osVersion": "6.1.2",
}

And the summary response would look more like this:

simpleResponse = {
  "name": "mt-olympus",
  "statusColor": "red"
}

What I would like to do is specify two types of response objects, and return them based on query parameter of the request. I don't want to use different API endpoints, because both of these responses are querying the same source of data.

My question is: how do I define API responses that change based on query parameters in the Swagger editor (or in an openAPI spec generally?)

Alternatively, this may be an XY question. Should I just write 2 separate API endpoints to handle this?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Currently, OpenAPI does not allow distinguishing calls using query parameters. It's a future enhancement that's being considered.

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others.↓↓↓↓↓

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Currently, OpenAPI does not allow distinguishing calls using query parameters. It's a future enhancement that's being considered.

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others.↓↓↓↓↓

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New Contributor

Good to know, thanks Ron!

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements