Forum Discussion

GCushman
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago

"Inherit from parent" authentication (REST) still not working for me in 1.5.0

I just upgraded Ready! API from 1.3.1 to 1.5.0

I read a recent post in the forum that 1.4 had fix for Inheriting Authorization but I am still not having any luck getting it to work with REST requests.

Here is my setup:
In my Environment Config settings I have "Auth Profile " set to "No Authorization". From a previous post on this forum, I was told that setting this to a profile would overirde all other Authorization settings (some of my test cases use groovy scripts to change user/pw).
On the HTTP tab (in Preferences), I have the "Adds authentication information to outgoing request" option enabled.
In the "Auth Manager" dialog I set the top level "Authorization Method" to "User1" profile. At the "Apply selected profile to all children items?" prompt, I select Yes. Expanding the tree on the Auth Manager dialog, I see that all TestSuites and Testcases are now set to "Inherit from Parent" (I assume this should mean "User1") and all the botton level REST requests are set to "No Authorization".
If I edit my test cases and look at the "Authorization" tab for my REST requests, they are all set to "No Authorization".

Problem 1: Before Upgrade to 1.5 I had individually set each request to use the "User1" profile on the Authorization tab. After upgrading to 1.5, the values were reverted to "No Authorization" for all of my REST requests.  I don't think upgrading should change this setting.
Problem 2: If I try to manually edit a request (at the test step level) and change the authorization from "No Authorization" to any User Profile, the change appears to be made but the options are disabled (greyed out) and when I close and re-open (even after a save), the authorization is changed back to "No Authorization".
Problem 3: I have found that regardless of what I profile I switch to in "Auth Manager", the credentials that get used are always those from my "User1" profile (the user I had hardcoded my requests towith 1.3.1).
Problem 4: It doesn't matter what I settings I use for authenticate pre-emptively (user preference or at the Profile level), all of my requests always make the first attempt without my creds.  I think this is same behavior from 1.3.1.

Note: If I could get the Inherit from parent option working as expected I wouldn't care about Problems 1 and 2 above.
Also, after any change I always Save (Ctrl+Alt+S) as well as Reload the project (F5).

Before I submit a bug report I am wondering if I am just doing something stupid.

Any help/ideas appreciated.

Regards,

Greg

2 Replies

GCushman
    Occasional Contributor

I waved the white flag and went back to v 1.3.1.  I had a few test cases that insisted on using an older set of creds that are no longer valid.  At least now I can change creds for each REST test step.

At times I love this product but also curse it quite frequently.  Definitely leaves something to be desired when it comes to stability, I have programmed myself to exit/restart it every few hours.

EHARDY
    Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I've got the same problem with some of my projects (WSDL) and 1.5.0

I need environment setting because of connections problems with JdbcRequestTestStep but if I use it, I can't modify authorizations for particulary teststeps. All my steps are "No Authorization" and no modification can be done (neither in Auth tab, neither in Auth manager).

It's pretty frustrating.

Must I downgrade to 1.3.0 or less ???