Forum Discussion

atulsureka
New Contributor
7 years ago

how to invoke REST API without explicitly giving credentials

Hi,

I am newie to Ready API. I want to write a functional test (GET REST service call). RESTAPI is hosted on Tomcat server with windows integrated authentication enabled. When I copy & paste the REST API in the browser I get the response. Browser do not ask for the credentials, No need not to explicitly give my user domain credentials. 

When I try to run the test step to invoke the REST API I get unauthorized error. If I mention my credentials inside "Auth" tab then it works. My question is how to use integrated authentication with Ready API so that I need not to give credentials explicitly. 

The big problem with giving the credentials is that, when I save the project then credentials also get saved in clear text. If I check-in this project then my credentials would be public. :( :( 

4 Replies

atulsureka
    New Contributor

Thanks for your response. The solution mentioned on that link is a work around, Doesn't ReadyAPI support NTLM v2 out of box? Why to go for a workaround ?

Atul

atulsureka
      New Contributor

Even the workaround does not work on many machines. If I Burp/fiddler then my requests are trapped, it tries to authenticate - I can see multiple requests but finally fails with 401 error. If I give credentials in the tool then it works.

I do not want to give credentials explicitly, that's the ultimate goal. Please suggest the solution

Atul

PaulMS
        Super Contributor

Maybe create a new support case with SmartBear if there is a better solution.

As a workaround I ended up using a shared dummy QA domain account so that my password was not stored in the project, and other team members could update the credentials if needed.