Forum Discussion

bdre
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

how to access a datasource result from calling groovy script

I've created a Groovy datasource that returns information in the results associative array available when the datasource script runs.

Now I want to run that datasource from another groovy script, but don't know how to access the datasource results information after calling the datasource.  The datasource looks something like this:

def row = testRunner.testCase.testSteps["MyDataSource"].getCurrentRow()
if (row < 100) {
    result["email"] = "user-" + String.format("%04d", row+1) + "@company.com"
}

The calling script looks like this:

testRunner.testCase.testSteps["MyDataSource"].run(testRunner, context)

Is it possible to access the "email" key created by the data source step?  I've tried a lot of methods, none of which worked.

Thanks!

• Hi,

Each DataSource step has at least 1 property. 

In order to reference that property you can use the syntax:

${DataSource#testProperty}

If you want to reference that property from a groovy script you need to use:

context.expand( '${DataSource#testProperty}' )

But I am not sure I understand your question... Normally I would use a datasource step in combination with a datasource-loop step.

So there will be an execution for each element in the datasource. Why would you call yours with another groovy script? What is the use case?

3 Replies

Lucian
    Community Hero

Hi,

Each DataSource step has at least 1 property. 

In order to reference that property you can use the syntax:

${DataSource#testProperty}

If you want to reference that property from a groovy script you need to use:

context.expand( '${DataSource#testProperty}' )

But I am not sure I understand your question... Normally I would use a datasource step in combination with a datasource-loop step.

So there will be an execution for each element in the datasource. Why would you call yours with another groovy script? What is the use case?

bdre
    Occasional Contributor

That didn't work for me initially.  Eventually I noticed menus not opening, so I restarted ReadyAPI app and now it works.

The use case:  I wanted to use a data source loop, but I need to have a nested data source and the inside data source needs to generate a variable number of objects.

I have two data sources: a parent object and a variable number of child objects.  The calling script will create one parent object, then a variable number of children.  Would it be better to have a single data source to create both of these?  Can my data source return a list?  If so then I can put the data source inside a data source loop and the row count (at least for the parent objects) will be handled by the loop.  But I may still have a problem with the row count for the child objects.

I would appreciate any suggestions you have for this case.

Thanks!

Lucian
    Community Hero

Not sure if I understand it correctly but you want a nested loop. I would simply use:

So for instance... Say you want to send the names of some products from a grocery store. The execution would look like this:

1. Fruits

1A. Oranges

1B. Apples

1C. Pears

2. Coffee

2A. Black

2B. Latte