Forum Discussion

SiKing
Community Expert
5 years ago

export project from -Pro version and open it in -Free version

Is it possible to export / extract a project from the -Pro version and read it back in the -Free version?

Note that I have seen other topics such as this. In my case I am OK if I lose all the paid features out of the exported project.

I tried creating a new project in the -Pro version and cloning the endpoint and one small test suite. The resulting project crashes with NPE when trying to read it in the -Free version.

2 Replies

richie
    Community Hero
    Hey SiKing,

I dont know what "crashjng with NPE" means, but as long as you dont use any of the pro functionality at all and ise the latest version of open source soapui, you can successfully import ReadyAPI! Project into free SoapUI, because i did it qyite recently and it worked fine.
    I was just very, very careful to ensure ZERO pro functionality was used in the project, but it did work successfully.

Perhaps if there is pro functionality within your project that may be the problem...i knoe the pro functionality used to get disabled in the open source soapui, but to be safe rather than ezpecting open source soapui to disable the pro functionality its safer if the projext is cteated withput pro functionality.

I was running ReadyAPI! v2.7.0 and SoapUI v5.5.0

Cheers
      SiKing
      Community Expert
      1. I have a functioning project in ReadyAPI 2.8.
      2. Still in ReadyAPI 2.8, I created a new project.
      3. I cloned (using [F9]) my service and my testcase into the new project. Note the testcase just has two REST requests and nothing else - no -Pro steps.
      4. Save the project and exit ReadyAPI.
      5. Open SoapUI 5.5.
      6. Try to import the new project. I get:
      Tue Oct 15 08:20:39 PDT 2019:ERROR:com.eviware.soapui.support.SoapUIException: Failed to load project from file [file:<redacted>/workspace/<redacted>-readyapi-project.xml]
         com.eviware.soapui.support.SoapUIException: Failed to load project from file [file:<redacted>/workspace/<redacted>-readyapi-project.xml]
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.WsdlProject.loadProject(WsdlProject.java:327)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.WsdlProject.<init>(WsdlProject.java:213)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.WsdlProject.<init>(WsdlProject.java:194)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.WsdlProjectFactory.createNew(WsdlProjectFactory.java:49)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.WsdlProjectFactory.createNew(WsdlProjectFactory.java:28)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.WorkspaceImpl.importProject(WorkspaceImpl.java:385)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.actions.ImportWsdlProjectAction.perform(ImportWsdlProjectAction.java:66)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.actions.ImportWsdlProjectAction.perform(ImportWsdlProjectAction.java:38)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.SoapUI$ImportWsdlProjectActionDelegate.actionPerformed(SoapUI.java:1629)
         	at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022)
         	at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2348)
         	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402)
         	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
         	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:252)
         	at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:289)
         	at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6539)
         	at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3324)
         	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6304)
         	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2239)
         	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4889)
         	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2297)
         	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
         	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4904)
         	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4535)
         	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4476)
         	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2283)
         	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2746)
         	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:760)
         	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
         	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
         	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
         	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
         	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
         	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:84)
         	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:733)
         	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731)
         	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
         	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:730)
         	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
         	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
         	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
         	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
         	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
         	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)
         Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.InterfaceFactoryRegistry.build(InterfaceFactoryRegistry.java:51)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.WsdlProject.loadProjectFromInputStream(WsdlProject.java:382)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.WsdlProject.loadProject(WsdlProject.java:310)
         	... 45 more
      Tue Oct 15 08:20:43 PDT 2019:ERROR:java.lang.NullPointerException
         java.lang.NullPointerException
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.WsdlProject.resolve(WsdlProject.java:1554)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.support.resolver.ResolveDialog.resolve(ResolveDialog.java:197)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.WorkspaceImpl.resolveProject(WorkspaceImpl.java:412)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.WorkspaceImpl.afterProjectImport(WorkspaceImpl.java:473)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.WorkspaceImpl.importProject(WorkspaceImpl.java:390)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.actions.ImportWsdlProjectAction.perform(ImportWsdlProjectAction.java:66)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.actions.ImportWsdlProjectAction.perform(ImportWsdlProjectAction.java:38)
         	at com.eviware.soapui.SoapUI$ImportWsdlProjectActionDelegate.actionPerformed(SoapUI.java:1629)
         	at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022)
         	at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2348)
         	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402)
         	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
         	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:252)
         	at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:289)
         	at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6539)
         	at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3324)
         	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6304)
         	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2239)
         	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4889)
         	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2297)
         	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4904)
         	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4535)
         	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4476)
         	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2283)
         	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2746)
         	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:760)
         	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
         	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
         	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
         	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:84)
         	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:733)
         	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731)
         	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:730)
         	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
         	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
         	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
         	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
         	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
         	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

Note that "NPE" is NullPointerException. :)

My best guess: The service was originally created from Swagger descriptor and the -Free version cannot deal with that. :(