Forum Discussion

Asubbiah
Contributor
8 years ago

can i run a rest service and verify if there is any entry in the application log files

Hi,

Can i run a rest service and verify if there is any entry in the application log file in the server?

The log file's name keeps changing based on the size/date.

4 Replies

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    "Run a rest service" - is it happens at the end user side? Usually, server is not accessible to the end users.

Just curious to know if there any good alternatives to check rather than going for server side logs.
      MarcusJ

Hi,

"Can i run a rest service and verify if there is any entry in the application log file in the server?"

Please give more details on what you are trying to accomplish and if this is related to Ready API or not.

Regards,

Marcus

SmartBear Support

Asubbiah
      Contributor

I agree endusers will not have access to the logs. I am going to test this in local env only.

My test case is to test the entry in the log for the rest api execution, as some other team's application is looking for the log entry.

So now I run the api in soapui and manually verifying the logs.

Is there any way to automate this?

nmrao
        Champion Level 3
        • There must be better way to assert. It not only help you but also for other teams as well( as you mentioned)
        • In case, no alternatives, then you need to provide more details such as
          • what os platform?
          • is test execution remote or local or both?
          • is log will be rolling after it reaches configured size? or constant file?
          • what kind of log is that? xml or plain text? do have any ways to parse the file?