Forum Discussion

richie
Community Hero
6 years ago
Solved

Verify a repeating attribute in .json response appears in ascending and descending order

Hi,

I have a GET request that interacts with a database retrieving records based on the URI/Template and Query Parameters in the URI string submitted and the response returned is in .json type.

I have a requirement that I can sort the response based on a specific field in the response in both ascending and descending order.

I found the following post with yet more nmrao code and I've been trying to tailor it

MY GET request format is as follows:

https://${#Project#TestEndpoint}/api/1/geographical-indication/product-group?_sort=Name asc  //sorts the response using the Name attribute value in ascending order

https://${#Project#TestEndpoint}/api/1/{geographical-indication/product-group?_sort=Name desc  //sorts the response using the Name attribute value in descending order

I've attached the 2 .json responses for both ascending and descending sort on the Name attribute

I've tried updating @Rao's original code as per my requirement - but whether the results are returned using descending or ascending - the groovy script passes fine - so I must be doing something wrong

My update to @Rao's script is as follows:

/**All Rao's Work
* Refer:https://community.smartbear.com/t5/SoapUI-NG/Assertions-to-verify-items-are-being-returned-in-alphabetical/m-p/145218#M32959
* this is to handle multiple properties
**/
def response = context.expand( '${REST Request#Response#$[\'data\']}' )  //data is the section of response that has the repeating groups in it

//ATTENTION: add the list of property names
def userList = ['Name']  //this is the attribute I am sorting on in the previous REST request

def json = new groovy.json.JsonSlurper().parseText(response)
def msg = new StringBuffer()

def getPropertyValues = { prop ->
	json.results."$prop"
}

def areValuesAscending = { list ->
	(list == list.sort(false)) ? true : false
}

def buildAssertionErrors = { propList ->
	propList.each { prop ->
		def getData = getPropertyValues(prop)
		println "list of ${prop} : ${getData}"
		if (!areValuesAscending(getData)) {
			if (!msg) msg.append('There are assertion errors\n')
			msg.append("${prop} : ${getData}").append('\n')
		}
	}
}

buildAssertionErrors(userList)

if (msg) { 
	println 'Test is a fail'
	throw new Error(msg.toString())
} else {
	println 'Test is a pass'
}

and I think I know what it is - unfortunately - I cant read all of @Rao's code - but I looking at the script - I need to specify the repeating attribute as a property somehow?  ("def getPropertyValues"

currently my test object hierarchy in the test is as follows:

REST Request step

Groovy Script (with the above code)

I'm guessing I need to pass the 'Name' attribute to a Property - but it can't be that easy - if anyone can translate, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks to all!

richie

• richie ,

Does the below helps?

//Define the ordered list which is in the same order of the values as expected
    def expectedList = []

def response = context.expand( '${REST Request#Response}' )
    def json = new groovy.json.JsonSlurper().parseText(response)

assert expectedList == json.data.Name

6 Replies

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    richie,

Not sure what you are expecting here.

The script is sorting to ascending (irrespective of the order in the response).

Any ways, please do below changes:

def response = context.expand( '${REST Request#Response#$[\'data\']}' )

to

def response = context.expand( '${REST Request#Response}' )

Another change is

json.results."$prop"
    }

To

json.data."$prop"
    }
      richie
      Community Hero

nmrao 

OH!

Sorry fella - I thought the script asserted that the response was returned in a certain order - as you can see - there's plenty of the script I can't actually read - I didnt realise the script was actually doing the sorting!

Apologies - that's not what I'm after.

I have a requirement where I'm requesting the data back in either ascending or descending order relative to the queryparm I'm specifying (e.g. /api/1/{namespace}/{table}?_sort=tableAttribute desc)

I thought your script actually ASSERTED the response was in ascending order as this is what I need to verify,

my bad!

richie

nmrao
        Champion Level 3
        More over, it was not even reading your data at all, forget about sort order. Because that was tailored for original question.