Forum Discussion

torevor
New Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

Result of "Clone Request" creates a second "linked" instance, rather than a new standalone version

I must be misunderstanding something, but here goes.

I've created a REST request, including method, endpoint, resource, and Auth(!) for a particular call.  I run it and it works fine.

Now, there are say 30 more requests I need to create, each which varies only by the Resource (everything else is the same).  Right clicking the Request that I just created, I see "Clone Request" (as one would expect), so I'm thinking "great, creating these 30 requests, each of which varies only slightly (the Resource) will be a breeze!

However, when cloning a resource, I then discover that any alterations I make to it, *are also made in the original request that I cloned from*.  This seems not very logical to me.  I mean, perhaps there is some useful scenario for this behavior that I can't think of, but at the very least I would expect there to be an alternate clone method that creates a new Request that is not associated (will not alter) the original cloned Request.

And another question I've always wondered about:  I've attached a screenshot of the resource I am querying below.  Does there happen to be some way I can "import" that resource and have all of the API calls automatically created in SOAP UI?

• Hey torevor,

Yep. You're right on all points.

1. Importing via the swagger/openapi file doesnt generate a hierarchy....all the apis are flattened...or at least thats been my experience of loading via a swagger/openapi file.

Its quite reasonable for the 3rd party to provide you a swagger or a .wadl file to auto create the apis in readyapi/soapui as ive had this many times before. If the 3rd party hasnt provided anything its not unreasonable for a representative of your company to ask for these as the 3rd party knows youre going to be hitting their exposed apis. Try asking....

Lastly i suppose is you can manually create them as long as you have all the details, but if this is the option thrn the 3rd party will provide some interface design doc to create the apis. Are there many? If you have to create 5 or even 10, itd only take maybe 20mins at most anyway....

Nice one

Rich

4 Replies

richie
    Community Hero
    Hi torevor

The clone request issue sounds like a defect inasmuch that if you make changes to the clone i wouldnt expect those changes to replicate in the original request.
    What version of readyapi! are you running? If we have the same version i'll try and reproduce as i'm curious.
    In regards to the second part of your question if you have a swagger/openapi file (created in the swagger app from your screenshot) you could import that into readyapi to create the apis automatically, although it doesnt mecessarily create them with the hierarchy, etc. you might want.

Ta

Rich
      torevor
      New Contributor

Hi Richie,

Thanks for the reply!  I just realized I posted in the wrong forum, I am using the free edition of SOAP UI.  I wouldn't think that would change the behavior in this respect, but who knows I guess.

> In regards to the second part of your question if you have a swagger/openapi file (created in the swagger app from your screenshot) you could import that into readyapi to create the apis automatically, although it doesnt necessarily create them with the hierarchy, etc. you might want.

Here I think I simply lack sufficient background knowledge in the REST/tools space.  All I have to work with (and I've searched for more fundamental documentation on the sumtotal.host, with no luck) is this one screen.  As I said, I'd like to think there would be another URL that I could enter into SOAP UI, and have all the endpoints imported into SOAP UI so I wouldn't have to manually create each one.  That --sounds-- like what you are describing, but since this is a vendor API I have to work with, I seem to have no way to access the swagger file itself.  I'd think that would be made available via a different URL, but it seems not, and I'm quite sure this is not the first time I've worked with a third party API that provides no such resource.

Is it technically possible for a vendor to expose the swagger file/api interface in a seperate URL, so that it could be "imported" into whatever platform the end user happens to be working with, or is this kind of functionality something that I've just conjured up in my mind?

richie
        Community Hero
        Hey torevor,

Yep. You're right on all points.

1. Importing via the swagger/openapi file doesnt generate a hierarchy....all the apis are flattened...or at least thats been my experience of loading via a swagger/openapi file.

Its quite reasonable for the 3rd party to provide you a swagger or a .wadl file to auto create the apis in readyapi/soapui as ive had this many times before. If the 3rd party hasnt provided anything its not unreasonable for a representative of your company to ask for these as the 3rd party knows youre going to be hitting their exposed apis. Try asking....

Lastly i suppose is you can manually create them as long as you have all the details, but if this is the option thrn the 3rd party will provide some interface design doc to create the apis. Are there many? If you have to create 5 or even 10, itd only take maybe 20mins at most anyway....

Nice one

Rich