Forum Discussion

alibaba82
Super Contributor
17 years ago

Requirements improvements

Hello,
We are finally using the requirements feature of soapui 2.01 and would like to suggest a few improvements to further enhance this great feature.

1. Can you add a clone requirement button. Most requirements name, id are quite similar. This would make entering requirements a lot faster.

2. Is there a reason why links and descriptions cannot be imported /exported.

3. Since requirements keep changing and since we usually get some excel sheet of requirements from the business units, it would be better to have 1 common requirements file for soapUI. When I import the requirements I can select the ones relevant to my project and only map those requirements to test cases.

4. As manager / lead, I would like to know what requirements are being tested. With the current implementation, I have to load each project and check the requirements tab to make sure that all requirements are mapped to some test case. As the number of projects increase, this process will become extremely cumbersome.

One idea I have is the following.
* Lets say I have the master requirements csv file which has 100 requirements across 10 seperate components.
* Each of the QA Engineer import their respective requirements in their project and map the test cases.
* After the mapping is done, the QA Engineer can contribute to the mapping report. The mapping report will outline which one of master requirements that have been covered by this QA Engineer. This mapping report will keep changing as more QA Engineers do the mapping. Maybe this mapping can add a fifth dimension to the requirements file corresponding to the project/testsuite/testcase. (hopefully i was able to explain this clearly).

5. Can we add a field for 'Author' in the requirements and have this also included in mapping report so that it shows which QA Engineer is covering what requirements. This will greatly reduce the confusion that business units have about missing requirements in testing.

Thanks

Ali

5 Replies

omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

thanks for all your feedback! Our responses:

1) sure!
    2) these are 1-to-many mappings which don't fit so well for a csv file, either we could create an xml-file format for importing/exporting requirements (easy..), add additional csv files for links/testcases with a requirement id for linking, or find some other way to handle this within the current csv format (and ideas?)
    3) sure!
    4) let us think about this.. I'll get back to you..
    5) sure!

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    2). By 1-to-many I am guessing that you are referring to how multiple links can be associated with one requirement.

Would it be possible to add a delimiter within a delimiter? so since export currently exports using comma delimiters, maybe you can use '###' as a delimiter to separate links within the link column ?

so for example
    "ID1", "Short Description", "www.cnn.com###www.google.com", "author"

Ali
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

sounds like a good idea.. we'll have this fixed in an upcoming snapshot.

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Ali,

we have some more issues to fix, we'll release this over the weekend.. sorry for the delay.

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com