Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ReadyAPI freezes when trying to connect to oracle database

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

ReadyAPI freezes when trying to connect to oracle database

Initial Test Connection works fine using oracle thin driver  - however when I try to build a query... it just gets stuck and eventually ReadyAPI freezes and I have to end it from task manager.

Any suggestion on how I can build a query from oracle database?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Hero

Hi @tcarey,

According to the screenshot you supplied it looks like youre using a Datasource step (type JDBC). Don't.

Use the separate 'JDBC step' instead. This will allow you to run the SQL without any problems and maintains the ease of use for non coders.

Cheers

Rich
if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Community Hero

How many records it is pulling? Try using filter if not already.

Regards,
Rao.
Occasional Contributor

trying to just pull one record..

here is my sql statement below ... just simple query to get 1 active account_number but it just freezes up. 

SELECT DISTINCT c.account_number
FROM hz_cust_accounts c , ra_customer_trx_all t
WHERE 1=1
AND t.bill_to_customer_id = c.cust_account_id
and t.creation_date > sysdate - 30
AND c.status = 'A'
order by dbms_random.value() FETCH FIRST 1 ROW ONLY

Highlighted
Community Hero

Hey @tcarey

If you run the same query via Oracle's sqlplus or another db interrogation tool, does the single record get retrieved almost immediately? Using "distinct" can slow down the execution of a query by up to 75-80% in certain situations (in your query it appears you have a tablescan, then a sort (relating to the distinct) and then a final sort (equating to your "order by"). That's a lot of work which would also be slowed down further if youre columns youre querying aren't indexed or arent indexed efficiently.

Have you tried executing the simplest query in soapui? e.g.

SELECT SYSDATE FROM DUAL;

If that retrieves the results without hanging in soapui then id suggest optimising your query more efficiently as if querying dual works fine then the problem is the query youre executing, not soapui.

Oh. One final thing. Rather than use querybuilder, id just type thr sql directly into the editable field rather than using the querybuilder function as its extra overhead and not necessary.

Cheers

Rich
if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

So I tried putting the sql directly into the editable part....  but "run" button is grayed out 😭 and of course if I click on "Build Query" it locks up

Meanwhile - i created a groovy script to connect to the database to do the querying...  did not want to do that route .. as I wanted to make it user friendly for folks that are new to ReadyAPI (like myself)  

smartbear1.jpg

Highlighted
Community Hero

Hi @tcarey,

According to the screenshot you supplied it looks like youre using a Datasource step (type JDBC). Don't.

Use the separate 'JDBC step' instead. This will allow you to run the SQL without any problems and maintains the ease of use for non coders.

Cheers

Rich

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

wow.. i am going to cry.. this worked perfectly.   Thank you so much!!   We are grilling right now, I wish I can fix you a plate!

Thanks again!!!!

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
TechCorner Leaderboard
Want a fun and easy way to learn ReadyAPI and show off your skills? Try solving weekly TechCorner challenges and get into the Leaderboard!

Challenge Status

Get a full Raw JMS request

Participate!

Compare an expected JSON value and actual response in Events

Participate!

Fetch value/data from JSON response using Groovy Script

See replies!

Get data from Petstore and add it to Excel sheets

Participate!
Top Kudoed Authors