Forum Discussion

davecoleman
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Rawresponse #status# - how to set Property Expansion value from this?

hi, 

using ReadyAPI 3.0 how do I get the value of "#status#" from RawResponse?

I want to output the value of "#status#" in a Datasink.

Does anyone have a good tutorial link on Property expansions? the Smartbear one from the Datasink component is not fit for purpose for a beginner.

Thanks in advance.

• Hey davecoleman 

just adding a little to expand on Rao's post

you will need the following testobject hierarchy in your test case

1.  add a script assertion on your REST request  - add in the following code to your script assertion

//Takes one of the elements of the response Header
    def value = messageExchange.modelItem.testStep.testCase.testSteps["REST TestStep Name"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders["#status#"]
    //#status# is the name of the header you want to extract

//Read this value into a parameter - writes the header value into the Properties test step
    def groovyUtils = new com.eviware.soapui.support.GroovyUtils( context )
    groovyUtils.setPropertyValue("Properties Step Name", "status",value[0])

//status is the name of the Properties attribute that is created when you execute the REST TestStep
    // in my example my REST Step is entitled 'REST Request', my Properties step is entitled 'Properties' and the property created within the Properties step is entitled 'status'

2.  Add a Properties step into the test

Executing the REST Step will populate the Properties step with the above row

3.  Add the DataSink step  into the test

Add in a property (entitled status) in the DataSink.  In the property's value field, you can either right click and select 'Get Data' from the context menu and navigate to the status attribute within the Properties step OR you can just type the following value in (which is what is dynamically generated if you use the 'Get Data' function) '${Properties#status}' - see the following:

Hope this helps out 

nice one,

rich

5 Replies

richie
    Community Hero
    Hi davecoleman,

Im typing this on my phone, but i have the script you need (courtesy of nmrao) to extract the status header value via a script assertion or groovy step.
    You cant use the native functionality to extract http headers, hence the need to use groovy.
    I'll post it when i get back in front of my laptop.

Nice one fella,

Rich
      richie
      Community Hero

Hey davecoleman 

just adding a little to expand on Rao's post

you will need the following testobject hierarchy in your test case

1.  add a script assertion on your REST request  - add in the following code to your script assertion

//Takes one of the elements of the response Header
      def value = messageExchange.modelItem.testStep.testCase.testSteps["REST TestStep Name"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders["#status#"]
      //#status# is the name of the header you want to extract

//Read this value into a parameter - writes the header value into the Properties test step
      def groovyUtils = new com.eviware.soapui.support.GroovyUtils( context )
      groovyUtils.setPropertyValue("Properties Step Name", "status",value[0])

//status is the name of the Properties attribute that is created when you execute the REST TestStep
      // in my example my REST Step is entitled 'REST Request', my Properties step is entitled 'Properties' and the property created within the Properties step is entitled 'status'

2.  Add a Properties step into the test

Executing the REST Step will populate the Properties step with the above row

3.  Add the DataSink step  into the test

Add in a property (entitled status) in the DataSink.  In the property's value field, you can either right click and select 'Get Data' from the context menu and navigate to the status attribute within the Properties step OR you can just type the following value in (which is what is dynamically generated if you use the 'Get Data' function) '${Properties#status}' - see the following:

Hope this helps out 

nice one,

rich