Forum Discussion

cpgutierrezm
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Pass a String array into a get request

Hello,   I need to pass a String's array to the item "acctNo". I mean, each value has an entry parameter "acctNo=660016A&acctNo=66000XW", but this is not working.   /portfolio-rs/v1/1/accounts/as...
    richie
    6 years ago

aaah - I see

I didn't see the second Accno query parm

The trouble with this is that SoapUI doesn't recognise it as different query parameter - and so doesn't allow you to add in duplicates.

Someone else asked something similar a couple of weeks ago I believe - but there's no way around it as far as I can tell.

The trouble is a GET query is like a SELECT query against a database.

Currently your GET if you considered it as SQL would appear as follows:

SELECT * FROM TABLE

where accNo = '66000XW'

and accNo = '660016A'

and livePrice = 'true'

and buyingPower = 'true';

and the above would be invalid - if accNo is unique - then you would never get a single record because you are trying to find a record where accNo is both '66000XW' and '660016A'

I'm guessing from your request - you are trying to retrieve more than 1 record - i.e. 2 different account records where livePrice=true and buyingPower=true?

so the SQL equivalent  would be as follows:

SELECT * FROM TABLE

where accNo in ('66000XW', '660016A')

and livePrice = 'true'

and buyingPower = 'true';

This requires either altering the URI (to allow parameterization in SoapUI)  or hardcoding your request.

If you just want to inject this via SoapUI - you bodge it - so select to create a new resource from the URL and paste in the URL up to but not including the query parms

e.g. https://domainname.com/

then once the resource has been created, you can then paste in the remainder of the URL (/portfolio-rs/v1/1/accounts/assetsDetail?acctNo=660016A&BacctNo=66000XW&livePrice=true&buyingPower=true) into the 'Resource' field.

Then within the test case, click to create a new REST request, and select this option from your listing - this would allow you to submit the request from SoapUI but doesn't provide any of the advantages of using SoapUI above other REST client tools - SoapUI lends itself to parameterization and automation.  Essentially the approach I've just described hardcodes the values in - and so provides no advantages from using SoapUI compared with a different tool.

That kindof highlights why REST URI design is so important and needs to be reviewed early in the design/development stages so that problems like this don't occur.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.