Forum Discussion

Chowdhary
Contributor
8 years ago

New feature Request: Copy & Paste of a test step

We have the feature of clone the test step and copy to another place.

If we have a big regression test suite, then how to drag and drop the test step. I need a big screen to drag and drop.

Why can't we have a copy test step and past where we want.

4 Replies

nmrao
    Champion Level 3

A test step can be dragged to other test cases currently, I believe. But, that works like a move.

Not sure how frequently you need to copy and paste a test  step of a case to other cases. If it is so frequent, then you might consider other alternatives such as data-driven if possible because there is feeling that tests are incorrectly designed.

Proposed Copy & Paste feature also requires couple button click / presses similar to existing  clone (F9) Feature.

• I believe that some times user might feel annoying with additional string 'Copy of' to the current step name. I feel that is a myth. Because, that is done by design deliberately / required in order to have unique test step (not to have duplicate steps).
    • Otherwise, I do not see any difference from the proposed request. You might ask what about the drop-down selections for test case / test suite etc., Even in case of C & P, user have to scroll down or up in order select right suite or case in or to paste. In case of clone, it is more easy to select without burden of scrolling.
    • Additional thing is re-usability with clone. One can clone a step / case / suite etc.,

If you still want the new feature, then you may go ahead and raise a feature request with a right  justification using below link:

https://community.smartbear.com/t5/Ready-API-Feature-Requests/idb-p/ReadyAPIFeatureRequests

Then Product Owners, based on the user's voting to the feature, will consider to productize.

Chowdhary
      Contributor

Everything you said was true,

consider having a many projects with many test suites.....drag and drop will be a big issue. other API testing tools have the nice feature like copy and to the place where you want paste it. this is not for small project with limited test suites and test cases.

nmrao
        Champion Level 3
        Have you raised the enhancement request in provided link then?