Forum Discussion

SBalun_1
Occasional Contributor
12 years ago

Move Default Workspace and Settings XML to Folder

Hi --

Hoping someone can help me. I'm currently using soapUI 4.5.1 for OS 10.8. The default workspace, 'default-soapui-workspace.xml' and settings xml, 'soapui-settings.xml' are located in the root of my user folder. I would like to move those files to another folder inside my user folder. Is it possible to move these files? If so, what are the steps involved and how do I configure soapUI to let it know that the default workspace is now located somewhere else?

Thanks!

--sb

5 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi!

Sure, just change the value of the
     <con:setting id="com.eviware.soapui.SoapUI@workspace"> 
    element in the soapui-settings.xml file to the new path of the default workspace.
    When it comes to path to the settings file, you could try to override the user.home system property to the folder where your have put your soapui-settings.xml file.

---
    Regards
    Erik, SmartBear Support
    SBalun_1
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Erik --

Rather than changing the location of my default workspace I just created a new workspace in another folder and then re-added my projects. This achieved the result I wanted. I am, however, still struggling with moving the soapui-settings.xml.

You mentioned that I "could try to override the user.home system property to the folder where your have put your soapui-settings.xml file."

Could you elaborate on this a bit more? I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about the user.home system property. Where do I find this in order to be able to edit it?

Thanks,
    --sb
    SBalun_1
    Occasional Contributor
    Anyone? Bueller?

Can I move my soapui-settings.xml file?

If so, how do I let soapUI know the new location of the file?
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi one way to do it is to edit the soapui-pro.bat / soapui-pro.sh script

soapu-pro.sh:

JAVA_OPTS="-Xms128m -Xmx1024m -Dsoapui.properties=soapui.properties -Dgroovy.source.encoding=iso-8859-1 -Dsoapui.home=$SOAPUI_HOME/bin"

to

JAVA_OPTS="-Xms128m -Xmx1024m -Dsoapui.properties=soapui.properties -Dgroovy.source.encoding=iso-8859-1 -Dsoapui.home=$SOAPUI_HOME/bin -Duser.home=<DIRECTORY OF YOUR SETTING FILE>"

soapu-pro.bat:

set JAVA_OPTS=-Xms128m -Xmx1024m -Dsoapui.properties=soapui.properties -Dgroovy.source.encoding=iso-8859-1 "-Dsoapui.home=%SOAPUI_HOME%\"

to

set JAVA_OPTS=-Xms128m -Xmx1024m -Dsoapui.properties=soapui.properties -Dgroovy.source.encoding=iso-8859-1 "-Dsoapui.home=%SOAPUI_HOME%\ -Duser.home=<DIRECTORY OF YOUR SETTING FILE>"

And then running soapUI using the bat / sh script.

--
    Regards

Erik
    SmartBear Sweden
      mgt2000

The other way to solve this issue is to edit SoapUI.vmoptions file which is located in the bin folder (for example: /opt/SmartBear/SoapUI-5.2.1/bin)

There you need to add this line:

-Duser.home=<directory that you want>

And then you instead of using the normal launcher, you can use the other one which is created for you by default: "com-eviware-soapui-soapui.desktop" and the new configuration will be picked up.