Forum Discussion

Jakob_Villadsen
Contributor
16 years ago

Large attachments - SoapUI "hangs"

Hi Ole,

When i try to call a webservice with a large base64encoded attachment (using regular inline, not MTOM) then SoapUI "hangs". It doesn't give an error message nor does it write anything in the log.

It's fine up to 1.5 megabytes but over 2 i get the problem.

What should I  do?

7 Replies

omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Jakob,

hmm.. can you send me the project with the request and the file you are trying to attach? (ole@eviware.com)

thanks in advance!

/Ole
    eviware.com
  • Hi Ole,

I'm having some trouble exposing the webservice that I'm testing to you. I'll have to arrange with our network guys to get some access to my host from the outside.
    It may take a few days, and I'll keep you updated
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    ok, thanks for your effort!

Some questions: Have you tried increasing soapUI memory setting in the .bat file? Are there maybe any errors in the console window?

Sorry for the inconvenience..

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi again,

I'm trying to reproduce.. have you cached the attachment in the request? Or are you inlining with a filename? Maybe you can attach a screenshot of the request?

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
  • >Have you tried increasing soapUI memory setting in the .bat file?

Yes, I set -Xmx1024m, but maybe that wasn on the 2.0.2 version.. I'll try again, see later on in this post.

>Are there maybe any errors in the console window?

i couldn't check since SoapUI was frozen...
    Nothing errorlike in the logs on disk though

>have you cached the attachment in the request?

yes, it's cached.

>Or are you inlining with a filename?

I've not tried inlining with the 2.0.3 version

>Maybe you can attach a screenshot of the request?

Yes, of course...
    While making the screenshot i succesfully transferred a 3,1 mb file... SoapUI slowed down to a crawl, but didn't actually "freeze"

I then tried to attach a 7 mb file and got some java heap space errors. and the program didn't work though i was eventually able to close nicely. Setting Xmx to 1024 and trying again....

SoapUI started the process then crashed in a blink. No message or anything the program just exited.

When i check the logs (attached) it look to me like it got the response from my webservice and then crashed after that.

[glow=red,2,300]
    #
    # An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
    #
    #  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6d234488, pid=416, tid=5644
    #
    # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (10.0-b22 mixed mode windows-x86)
    # Problematic frame:
    # C  [fontmanager.dll+0x24488][/glow]

BTW, I've noticed that "enable MTOM" gets reset to true each time i choose a new attachment. I think that's unintended behaviour, right?
  • I've just tried again with the 2.5 beta version and get the same error.
    I tried to transfer a 7 mb file, and it "blinked" and crashed to desktop with no error messages or anything.
    I've attached the hs_err_pid file , nothing strange in any of the other log files.

I'm using the soapui-2.5-beta1-win32-standalone-bin.zip and i set

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -Dsoapui.properties=soapui.properties
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi,

ok, since this happens in the JRE and not in soapUI I wonder if you could try using the latest version of the 1.6 JRE to see if that helps?

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com