cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to store jdbc credentials globally rather than at the project level?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to store jdbc credentials globally rather than at the project level?

Hi,

I have the same JDBC credentials for each project I have.  When the password expires and I have to change it, I have to go into every SoapUI project that I have to modify that.  Often I run one of the projects without realizing I didn't change that one and immediately get my account locked out.  Anyone have any suggestions on a way to solve this?  Is there the ability to store credentials like this at a global level so they only have to be changed in one place?  

Thanks,
Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Hero

I believe that you got them incorrectly.

If the property name contains "password" string, then it will mask the value.

You need to type the name of the password under configuration, say, ${dbpassword}

Regards,
Rao.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Hero

You can go for global properties.
For more details:
https://www.soapui.org/scripting---properties/working-with-properties.html

Regards,
Rao.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately I don't think this solution works. There are 2 problems: 1. The database configuration dialog does not accept property transfers. When I right-click in the field, GetData is not an option. 2. These are credentials, and storing them in a global property would mean that the password is visible in plain text. Probably not the best implementation for security 🙂 Thanks, Mike
Highlighted
Community Hero

I believe that you got them incorrectly.

If the property name contains "password" string, then it will mask the value.

You need to type the name of the password under configuration, say, ${dbpassword}

Regards,
Rao.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

What do you know...I guess you learn something every day. That actually did work for me, I had no idea that functionality to mask the password was still there. It still clears in the UI when you click in the field, but it's better. And although the Database and Environment dialogs still don't allow you to 'Get Data' and populate the property that way, if you type it manually it actually will pick up the property. Thanks for your help with this!
Highlighted
Community Hero

" It still clears in the UI when you click in the field, but it's better" - it because, behind the scenes, it uses Property Change Event  listeners of Swing. So, once you done changing the value of the property, then it will masks based on the property name contains password key(it does not know that it is password property you are using, so you see plain text while typing in ).

But in the Jdbc Configuration, SoapUI already knows that it is Password field, so GetData is not applicable to that specific type. Just addressing above issue here without showing password in plain text as they do not want to show in plain text.

So both are working as per the design and security in mind.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
Rao.
New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
TechCorner Leaderboard
Want a fun and easy way to learn ReadyAPI and show off your skills? Try solving weekly TechCorner challenges and get into the Leaderboard!

Challenge Status

Get a full Raw JMS request

Participate!

Compare an expected JSON value and actual response in Events

Participate!

Fetch value/data from JSON response using Groovy Script

See replies!

Get data from Petstore and add it to Excel sheets

Participate!
Top Kudoed Authors