Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Creating a composite project in git

Hey All,

I am a new user to SoapUI. We are trying to create a new project with version controlling in git.
Can anyone please elaborate using this SoapUI feature with an example.
The tutorial on the web site is not so informative as I'm looking for some answers to the questions like:
What is the difference between composite project and remote project?
When you create a composite project, is it managed locally or at the repo level (git, svn etc preferably git in my case)
Are all the modifications retained when I refresh a composite project, I mean something like adding a new service endpoint (I don't see this happening in my case, any configuration required?)
In addition to this, Please share any guidelines/best practices that needs to be taken care in case of handling composite projects

Please do reply as soon as possible.

Regards,
Siddiq

1 Reply

Aks1982
    Occasional Contributor
    Standalone project is stored in a single xml file. So when multiple people are working, it becomes difficult to maintain.
    Composite project creates a directory structure and stores each testcase as a separate xml, also has separate settings file for test suites and projects.

you need to checkin this directory structure to git or other version control system.
    But SoapUI sometimes updates the xml files even though the tests have not changed. ( mostly when you run a testcase from SoapUI, property values stored will change. This would result in testcase xmls being updated eventhough the code has not changed. Becomes difficult to figure out which files to check in if you dont track the code changes done. Other option is leave the checkout directory untouched and have a separate working copy).

if you make changes from SoapUI, make sure you save it first before doing 'refresh composite project'.
    You need to do 'refresh composite project' only if you have done some changes through backend, and want to see them in soapUI.