cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caching gottcha! running data driven test steps!

Super Contributor

Caching gottcha! running data driven test steps!

I am just providing some info on something I observed

when running a data driven test 

Make sure you run data source first by hitting play!

datasource_run.PNG

then run the teststep

runTest.PNG

If you initially run the test without hitting play on datasource chances are data will not be cached and nothing will be sent to the request!

Now if you are running the whole test case you wont have this issue!

7 REPLIES 7
Community Hero

Re: Caching gottcha! running data driven test steps!

There's an option in the Data Source options to "Preload data if possible." Also, I've noticed that if the DataSource is in your test case, running the test case as a whole SHOULD initialize the data source. 

---

Click the Accept as Solution button if my answer has helped, and remember to give kudos where appropriate too!
Super Contributor

@msiadak would not preload be same as caching so I would still have an issue if just running the test step.

Community Hero

I believe it would act as caching, but you shouldn't need to run the data source to cache data.

---

Click the Accept as Solution button if my answer has helped, and remember to give kudos where appropriate too!
Super Contributor

ok will let you know how it goes.

I have checked in the the option to preload data.

Super Contributor

Same issue preloading as I thought is same as caching so if test step run without running the data source.

request will literally draw blank!

Looks like a design decision to me so should be fine as long as you know what your are doing!

Community Hero

I misunderstood what you were doing. You are right, if you run a test step alone without pre-loading the data source, then you'll be missing values. I apologize if I muddied the waters.

---

Super Contributor

@msiadak No need to apologize

while I was running this it made sense that this must have been a design decision Smiley Happy

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Watch the new interview
Top Kudoed Authors